Property & Wills

The difference here is that the partner didn't own the property, his son did. At most they are akin to tenants/occupiers, and it is the step mum and son who owe, if anybody does. It's a try on.

Blup

Sponsored Links
it will have had repairs, maintenance and possibly improvements carried out, and if so, who paid for these? If anyone other than chap did it might complicate matters.
I don't see why, unless there is a lien on the property (or some other formal agrement) in respect of monies paid for those works. Shouldn't the title docs at the Land Registry indicate any charges against the property?

I don't see why, unless there is a lien on the property (or some other formal agrement) in respect of monies paid for those works. Shouldn't the title docs at the Land Registry indicate any charges against the property?
It does.
But it seems that in this case somehow a stranger has occupied a private dwelling and claiming title to it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The dad and son allowed the mum to stay there so no question of squatters rights she isn’t a squatter. Kick him out or get a court order if he don’t go voluntarily. There is more to this than meets the eye, £15k defending legal action suggests there must be a detailed claim but the OP doesn’t go into that, is this a pub story?

Blup
It is a pub story because this chap has been told that I might be able to help him so he's popped into my t'pub & bought me a pint in exchange for my opinion.

I cannot help him. I'm famous for using extreme intimidation & violence to solve problems with problem tenants which is probably why some John Smith has mentioned me to him. I'm not sure this a problem tenant, the 'son' may well have a genuine belief that he has a legal claim to the house.

I can't see a clear solution, I can only refer him to my accountant who really does 'know' about this sort of thing.

He must be a mug. Looks like he's already paid over the odds for your opinion. ;)
Has anyone, EVER, bought you a pint?

To me, you are that bloke sat in t'corner, stroking his dog & minding his own business . . . . 'Cos no one else in t'pub much cares for you do they, they think more of your dog.

Has anyone, EVER, bought you a pint?
No. Nobody who I don’t know has ever sought me out in the t'pub assuming I would be a legal expert and asked my opinion. If they did, I certainly wouldn't recommend going to any accountant for property legal advice but then again, unlike you I don’t know any multi-talented accountants. Would your accountant who 'knows about this sort of thing' be able to represent him in a court of law and/or holds any kind of legal professional indemnity insurance?

No. Nobody who I don’t know has ever sought me out in the t'pub assuming I would be a legal expert and asked my opinion. If they did, I certainly wouldn't recommend going to any accountant for property legal advice but then again, unlike you I don’t know any multi-talented accountants. Would your accountant who 'knows about this sort of thing' be able to represent him in a court of law and/or holds any kind of legal professional indemnity insurance?
There you go yet again.

I'm quite confident in the knowledge that my accountant isn't my solicitor.

Sponsored Links
Back