Suspicious about a Wills.

B

Bodd

I met my partner about 17 years ago. She's an only child who was brought up by just her mother.

I've always been suspicious of her uncle and cousin.
Both money men

The Uncle was a dominating sort who I would have imagined looked after the grandad affairs while he was I'll and eventually died.

The cousin lived near the Auntie up north. The Auntie had money property and no children to leave it too.

The Grandad also had money, most I would imagine went into his care.

Is there a way my partner could look into the wills. She agrees with me and has suspected why she never received or heard of any wills.

Sponsored Links
Granddad might have left it to his 'children' (just GF's Mum and Uncle or more?) or not left a will and it may have been divided between his children.

Who was the Executor of the estate?

It's not clear who is still alive or not.

Grandad had two daughters.
1 is was my partners mum
The other the wife of the Uncle I always suspected of being upto no good.

All dead now.

The son of the uncle is alive and I've always suspected he's been upto no good in the past for his own ends.

Is there a way my partner could look into the wills. She agrees with me and has suspected why she never received or heard of any wills.

You can order a copy of the will and/or grant of probate and some other papers once it has been dealt with, search online since 1857 but older records may be listed on paper. I've done it as executor for someone whose spouse had previously died. There is now a transferrable value of unused parts of the IHT allowance to spouse.

See
https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

Sponsored Links
Then your GF's Mum should have been involved in the process.

If no will then I presume the two daughters would have shared the estate.

Forget it and move on. In the time it takes to help your missus get her claws into anything you could likely have earnt the money yourself and took her on a few holidays. It will also make her more bitter towards her extended family, and it sounds as though her relationship with them is pretty poor already judging by her suspicion and by default your suspicion of them. It's unlikely to end well and will give you a lot of aggro to boot. Ask yourself is it worth it.

the executor has to legally print a notice in the press for anyone with a claim on the estate before disposing off any surplice after discharging outstanding monies owed
if this is more than a few years old you may be chaceing good money after bad

the executor has to legally print a notice in the press for anyone with a claim on the estate before disposing off any surplice after discharging outstanding monies owed
if this is more than a few years old you may be chaceing good money after bad

I've been an executor twice and did no such thing. Neither did I come across any such legal requirement to do so. Further, the grounds for contesting a legal will are extremely few; and the evidence demands onerous. Only one winner usually- the lawyers.

CG

I've been an executor twice and did no such thing. Neither did I come across any such legal requirement to do so. Further, the grounds for contesting a legal will are extremely few; and the evidence demands onerous. Only one winner usually- the lawyers.

CG
ok perhaps i have miss remembered the actual reason as it is a few years now :D
the executor is responsible to collect all monies and assets
he must contact all know creditors and settle any outstanding bills
he must also take reasonable measures as an executor to make anyone who may have a charge against the estate aware in a reasonable fashion otherwise may be personally liable
now that can be a public notice in the national press
so may be very advisable to cover your own behind rather than a legal requirement (y)

Sponsored Links
Back