Mairead Philpott

Thanks for that link chapeau, her sentence becomes more understandable when you look at her conduct after the death of her kids.
I still can't help feeling sorry for the poor tragic half wit though.

Sponsored Links
His final gesture was a V sign to the public gallery - that gesture ensures he will never be released.

It would be nice if he spent the rest of his miserable existence being monstered daily. Here's hoping.

The problem that I have with the "she might be a victim" argument, is it's very hard to quantify, even the judges comments make it clear he judged her on what she said when giving evidence, not on any evidence based fact.

So I'm inclined to feel it should be essentially irrelevant.

I don't want this to become about the benefit system that's a separate argument

Almost, but it is a factor. She decided to live of benefits, this is not a good way to raise children, anyone who cares for their kids over their own selfish needs would not choose this as a lifestyle, the fact she is lazy and selfish does have a bearing in this case.

I dont think it would have made any difference to her if she got benefits or not, IMO she was the sort of weak willed person that would have just gone on having children. (The 1940`s/50`s mindset)
The Judge stated the chidren were always well dressed when they went to school, so its sounds the money was being used in the right place.

Sponsored Links
Almost, but it is a factor. She decided to live of benefits, this is not a good way to raise children, anyone who cares for their kids over their own selfish needs would not choose this as a lifestyle, the fact she is lazy and selfish does have a bearing in this case.

Benefits were undoubtedly a factor in this case, if you wish to focus on that aspect start another thread.
If you think looking after a gang of kids is a lazy life you ain't got a clue.

I've just watched Panorama on iPlayer.

She told the emergency services operator she was getting dressed, fetching a wrench and climbing a ladder to help her husband.

None of this was audible in the background.

Living in Derby (and only about a mile from 18 Victory Road) , I think Mairead is a bit of a simpleton. Easily manipulated by Philpott, she believed every word he told her. Even when her kids were dead, he sought to continue that manipulation (even encouraging her to perform a sex act on Mosley, shortly after the childrens deaths) Mairead , however, does have to accept her share of the blame. Undoubtedly, there were plenty of opportunities in her past to leave Philpott. She worked, so at least was out of his control for the time she spent working (as some witnesses have testified, she was quite a different person when Philpott wasn't there to control her) So she was capable of her own thoughts.
However the people I feel really sorry for in this are the family members. One of Philpott's brothers is a regular at one of my local pubs. He's not only lost a niece and five nephews, he's also lost the brother he's now disowned, the sister in law, now disowned. He's the one that has to live with the shame Philpott has brought on the whole family.
My thoughts, however, are for the children who should have been opening Easter eggs last weekend and enjoying the half term holiday, this year.

I've always thought the jail terms for manslaughter are a bit low. You kill somebody through your negligence but can get away with a few years in prison (eg you kill somebody through careless driving, sentences are surprisingly low, you can get away with a non custodial sentence).

I have a lot of sympathy for the woman but a line was crossed when people died. I'd be interested in whether she gets an easy ride in the nick, the place must be full of battered and abused wives, I am sure a lot will feel for her plight.

But 18 years is fair. I think the judge's remarks showed a lot of 'wisdom'

What joinerjohn said about her pretty much sums up the way I see her.
Personally I don't think 17 years is fair in her case, I suppose it would take a woman who has been in that kind of abusive relationship to really understand her. Which is not an experience a highly educated, assertive person like a lady judge would be likely to have. I think she should have given more consideration to how downtrodden this woman was, and reflected it in the sentence. If I had been the judge I would have sentenced him and his mate to be hung by the b*ll*x and given her maybe 2 or 3 years with as much follow up help as possible. In my opinion that would have been fairer.

Chapeau. A good post, regarding the point about what could happen in Prison.

the treatment of Mairead by Mick Philpott who used her totally as a object for sex, controlled, and Brainwashed into participating in committing a crime, is very reminiscent of Patty Hearst,
Patty was a very intelligent girl born into one of Americas Wealthest Family, before she was kidnapped, sexually abused, brainwashed and was totally controlled by the gang leader, and joined in the armed Bank Raids shooting people.

You're hard. :rolleyes:

Oh please, I've met plenty of people that have multiple kids but are lazy.

By all accounts this womans kids were always well turned out, that takes a lot of hard work. How does that equate with your assertion that the woman was lazy? When you answer bear in mind that she also went out to work.

You have to remember she was found guilty by the jury who heard the story. Though it was a 10-2 decision, so not particulary convincing, but the judge said she would accept a majority verdict. So there are legitimate reasons to have sympathy for her, but six people died, and we should not forget that.

Sponsored Links
Back