legal advice - marriage breakdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i got married last year, been married 9 months. my wife says she wants a divorce as she saw a picture of me kissing another girl (i owned up to it, it was before we got married). the house is in her fathers name and he brought it for cash outright. we have been doing the house up the past 18 months have have completely gutted it. she has put the majority of the money in through an inheritance off her grandad.
Most of the bills are in my name, gas elec etc.

can anyone advise legally where i stand? I am trying to save the marriage at the moment but would like to know worse case scenario where i stand financially.

The house was brought for £200k, wife put in around £60k and i put in approx £10k. I also spent 3 months full time doing it up.

The house is worth approx £400k now.

I am doing everything i can to try and get back with her so hopefully i wont need any of this advice but appreciated if someone could give an overview as to what would happen.

thanks

Sponsored Links
It's doubled in value in a falling market? What planet are you on?

well it hasnt doubled as we have spent £70k odd on it. It has probably gained £100k odd but has been completely gutted. it's an area of the country that they sell quickly and one of the reasons we brought it - anyway back to the topic can anyone advise?

I don't think you stand anywhere really. If it was renovated over 18 months and you only did 3 of them then your contribution negligible. If you are lucky you'll get your ten grand back, but if it's in her dads name and not your then you gave him your money as a gift. If you are unlucky you'll walk away with nothing.

I don't believe she thought you were a virgin before you met so why would a picture make her want to divorce you? I reckon you've been sampling forbidden fruits and you got caught in the orchard. If that's the case you'll get 'nowt'.

Sponsored Links
I second joe on that you got nothing in your name etc.
It'll cost you more in solicitors fee's than what you'll probably get back.

If i was her dad i'd offer you your 10k back to stay away for good. ;)

Is all this really over one kiss?
If so, that seems severe.

Or was it more than a kiss?

I think she found lipstick on his dipstick. ;)

at the moment im living at a friends house. can i legally move back in?

If she changes the locks etc or father in law can have an order put against to to keep away.
It's not in joint names you haven't got a leg to stand on.

It is 'bought' not 'brought'.

Bring and buy are two completely different verbs.

Arm yourself with decent grammar ahead of any legal wranglings.

No. It's not your house. You've only been married nine months. Talk to her Dad about an exit strategy and be reasonable. He's not a poor man so he can beat you in court or get you beaten up.

if its not your house and as they don't acnowlage your physical or financial contributions you have to prove you added value then prove you had an understanding where your contributions where not just instead off rent or other consideration

Sponsored Links
Back