Not getting enough hot water when using immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had to temporarily start using my immersion heater for hot water as I'm running desperately low on heating oil.

My cylinder and immersion are only about 10 months old. The cylinder is quite large approx 1500mm by 450mm. The water does get very hot but we just don't get enough. If I feel the cylinder I'd say only the top half feels warm.
I turned the stat on the side of the cylinder up to 70 but it hasn't made much difference.
I was reading on some sites that some immersions only work up to 60 degrees is that correct?

The plumber that fitted it seemed like a cowboy. Charged over the top and had to keep coming back to fix seepages.

Would a large tank require a longer (bigger sized) / higher kw immersion?

I'm wondering whether the wrong size was fitted. Is there a way I can check this?

Is it easy to upgrade the immersion? The immersion fuse is rated at 16A.

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Immersion will only heat water above it, not whole vessel. At least 27" element should be fitted. You can only check thermostat length as checking element would require draining. Top half heating seems normal for 1500h cyl.

As yours is indirect system, it's only intended as back-up. Direct (electric only) models would have another immersion installed lower down

Sponsored Links
Immersion will only heat water above it, not whole vessel. At least 27" element should be fitted. You can only check thermostat length as checking element would require draining. Top half heating seems normal for 1500h cyl.

As yours is indirect system, it's only intended as back-up. Direct (electric only) models would have another immersion installed lower down

Thanks for your prompt reply. This really is a very nice forum!
All makes sense now.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back