Not Repeat Not a loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I'm looking for some guidance with enlarging a loft hatch.
This is with a view to maybe doing a loft conversion some years hence with all permissions/architect/building control etc.
But for now i just want to be able to get through the hole without losing any more flesh.
The building is 1990's mid terrace 3 bed downstairs bathroom. mid section supporting wall on to an rsj open plan lounge.
What i wanted to do is sister some new beams to the existing ceiling joists from the eves to the internal wall which is 3.5m, just on the side where the loft hatch is, and just in the loft hatch area.
The loft space area is very similar in design to the one in the picture, but with a supported, removed to loft height, double chimney breast.
The chimney breast is on the opposite wall to the loft hatch.

My question is is there any way of knowing what timbers to use without getting a man in to look ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back