Not so Spare Tyres

Sponsored Links
the trouble with space savers is WHERE THE HELL DO YOU PUT THE FULL SIZE WHEEL/TYRE?.a lot of the manufacturers are doing this on the excuse of saving weight and emissions etc,but when you end up having to put the wheel maybe inside the driving cabin because there is not enough room.
or do you just leave the wheel on the side of the road?

A valid question indeed. Could be a cunning ploy to make sure that you don't drive round on your spare :idea:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/non-standard-spare-wheels.html

Simply typing into my search engine "fitting spacesaver and driven wheel on same axle", the AA comes to the rescue! Daneski - is your neighbour (that runs several classic cars, and an MOT tester) REALLY unaware of this following your 20 minutes 'trawling' the internet.

It really is a moot point saying it's not illegal to do this, because it's an MOT failure. If you continue to use your car on a spacesaver, and it wasn't MOT'ed, then the car wouldn't pass an MOT, and is therefore being run illegally, ie it does not conform to a current MOT standard.

That's like saying, well the exhaust fell off, but it's OK, because I'm taking it for an MOT in 6 months, and they will fail it, but when they fit it, everything is good. Yes but in the meantime...it's illegal.

I put the evidence forward that took less than 5 minutes to gather. Just for you, because you are special.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for sourcing it - I was looking for a different type of evidence that stated that it was illegal outright and didn't use the implication that because it would fail it's MOT it was therefore illegal. The bloke I asked did know that car with a spacesaver fitted on the axle would not pass, but neither he nor the other bloke made the connection that you have.

Although I see what you're saying, is it not the case that you are provided with sufficient time to make a car roadworthy (as in MOT passable)? In which case, although illegal, no one would realistically be prosecuted for driving with a spacesaver on a driven axle?

Thank you for sourcing it - I was looking for a different type of evidence that stated that it was illegal outright and didn't use the implication that because it would fail it's MOT it was therefore illegal. The bloke I asked did know that car with a spacesaver fitted on the axle would not pass, but neither he nor the other bloke made the connection that you have.

Although I see what you're saying, is it not the case that you are provided with sufficient time to make a car roadworthy (as in MOT passable)? In which case, although illegal, no one would realistically be prosecuted for driving with a spacesaver on a driven axle?

Oh yes they would. VOSA run roadside tests on exhausts, window tint, exhaust NOISE!, etc...and if anyone was running on a spacesaver, and NOT going to a MOT/vehicle repair centre, prebooked, then it's illegal, and they prosecute. They are harsh. I know a member of VOSA from a car forum, and boy are they strict. They would have your car away from you. Running a car, without complaince to the MOT, would invalidate your insurance, and driving without insurance, invalidates your license.

If you had crossply and radial fitted across an axle, never mind odd sized wheels, regardless if you were prebooked into an MOT centre, the vehicle needs to be trailered to the MOT centre.

EMERGENCY RECOVERY ONLY. That means, as I previously stated, that it's illegal to use different sized wheels on the same axle, but if the RAC/AA came out to recover you, and you DIDN'T have a spacesaver, they would charge extra. BUT they are NOT allowed to use the spacesaver, as it's illegal to use on the DRIVEN axle. This rule has been in force since the '60's. (crossply vs radial) even more dangerous using different sized wheels, on a driven axle.

Do you need more proof? Or are you starting to understand what the motoring organisations are saying, and your neighbours are seemingly unaware of? You must give me the name of the MOT tester, that don't know the rules, my CAT convertor has been dodgy recently...

Here's an interesting question.

All the big car manufacturers are selling cars equipped with spacesaver tyres.

Mick says they are illegal.

On any one day there must be hundreds, perhaps thousands, of drivers who have just had a puncture and are driving on these tyres. Yet the papers and courts are not full of these drivers complaining.

Something odd here.

I am not interested in the crossply/radial question, only in the spacesaver question.

If they are illegal as stated, then surely the police are missing a nice little earner, which will be especially valuable to them if speed cameras are to be reduced in number (or so rumour has it)

that's a big word, "if"
Mister Moody has proven it, along with corroborated evidence by gman76 - a car wouldn't pass it's MOT if it was tested with spacesaver tyres, which implies that it's unroadworthy. Therefore it is illegal to drive it on the road and you'd be prone to a stealth bomber dropping a cruise missile on you if you dared to venture onto the public highways.

Personally, I'm still skeptical. :rolleyes:

If you're referring to the "if" about speed cameras then here is one source. I know it's a dubious source ;) , but there are other references alluding to this issue on the internet.

AA Website said:
Non-Standard Spare Wheels
For emergency, temporary use only

Tyres on the same axle must be of the same nominal size and aspect ratio – you'll fail the MOT test if they're not.

The law makes an exception for temporary use spares (non-standard spare/skinny spare) which are being supplied as original equipment more often these days. Generally these will be narrower than the standard size car tyres.

The handbook and spare tyre itself will carry clear information about operating restrictions – maximum speed (usually 50mph) – which you must stick to for safety reasons.

Space saver wheels are designed for temporary use to enable the vehicle to be driven to a place of repair. There is no maximum distance but due to the speed restriction and the fact that the tyre compound is generally softer (to simulate traction capabilities to compensate for any imbalance) the distance should not be excessive.

The original car tyre should be repaired/replaced as soon as possible.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/non-standard-spare-wheels.html

:oops: Only dgoes to show the importance of reading a source properly. :oops: :oops: Thanks very much.

Am in the process of sourcing "Road Vehicles (Construction and Use)" - I have manged to find an exemption of temoprary tyres in a consultation document and will update this in due course

Sponsored Links
Back