Not so Spare Tyres

D

daneski88

Save me a google ;)
A friend of my wife has ordered a new fiesta (pretty close to top of the range), and has been advised that it will not have a spare tyre, but will have a puncture repair kit :confused:

Is this the norm nowadays?

Sponsored Links
It's becoming increasingly common, the problem is it can only be regarded as a temporary measure, just to get you home, there is a strong possibility, you will need a new tyre anyway.

Wotan

It's becoming increasingly common, the problem is it can only be regarded as a temporary measure, just to get you home, there is a strong possibility, you will need a new tyre anyway.

Wotan
That may well be true, but if you have a complete blowout in the middle of nowhere and aren't in the AA/RAC etc, then you've had it, or it'll cost you an excess to join (assuming you have cash or a credit card on you at the time)

Not sure what these repair kits are (guessing a spray into the tyre valve type thingy), but I could imagine that someone is far more likely to forget to buy a replacement for this than replace a tyre.

Just seems daft

not sure if its a cost cutting/profit exercise, or a bid to loose weight and improve fuel efficiency...

Sponsored Links
not sure if its a cost cutting/profit exercise, or a bid to loose weight and improve fuel efficiency...
Makes sense I suppose in that respect, but not in any other. There are other things they could remove to make vehicles lighter and cheaper to manufacture (hmm, how much is a wheel in cost and weight in its entirety?)

imo if your going down this route of buying a new car without a spare,either make sure you/wife have a mobile phone with you at all times and belong to a breakdown/recovery firm or purchase a jack and spare wheel your self.i certainly wouldnt put all my faith into a portable compressor with a load of gunk.
especially if there is a cut on the side wall of the tyre then it will not plug it.

Most cars have a spacesaver spare wheel thesedays..but they are illegal to use on the driven wheels, so if your car is front wheel drive, not allowed to use it. And many people have used them for everyday use, rather than for rescue. So why have them? Use a can of filler foam to reinflate the tyre, cheaper for the manufacturer, less weight in the car, no hassle of changing a wheel.

Most cars have a spacesaver spare wheel thesedays..but they are illegal to use on the driven wheels, so if your car is front wheel drive, not allowed to use it.
please provide a link which justifies this statement - thanks

And many people have used them for everyday use, rather than for rescue.
and many have changed their wheel, but there's nothing wrong with having both alternatives in a car.

So why have them? Use a can of filler foam to reinflate the tyre,
Even this one?
Which is precisely my point

cheaper for the manufacturer,
So they are going to drop the retail price to reflect this? I think not

less weight in the car,
there are many more "unessentials" that could be removed from a car which should be of a greater priority!

no hassle of changing a wheel.
Like I said - there's nothing wrong with having a can of foam filler as well. However, I'm not convinced this foam is always the best thing to use. For example, my wife had a puncture (screw went through the centre of a tread) - easily repaired for less than £20. Would a foam filled tyre be so easily repairable? I think it would more likely need a tyre change at a damn sight more that £20!

..but they are illegal to use on the driven wheels, .
says who?

Whoever makes the rules up regarding vehicles? You are not allowed to have a 185/60/15 wheel/tyre on the same driven axle as a 135/60/13.

So a spacesaver on a 4x4 is completely redundant.

But if have a puncture and don't have a spacesaver, and call out the RAC/AA to recover you, they charge extra(!) Daylight robbery!

I'm not a fan of those aerosol type fillers, don't trust them. I agree with Daneski, most punctures I've had have been slow, and repairable at the garage, or sudden, where the carcass is scredded, as Daneski demonstrates, so fitting the spacesaver is illegal, and there is no other option.

Daneski highlights the point that it may not be cheaper, or make the car lighter, I disagree...either fit a spacesaver, or fit an OE spec alloy wheel, and provide the space in the bodyshell to accomodate it. That equals more cost.

I can assure you what I say is true, I'm not going to trawl through mountains of design build manual specs to prove it, just ask your MOT man the next time you get a service?

Daneski highlights the point that it may not be cheaper, or make the car lighter, I disagree...
If you read what I wrote, you will realise that I never said this. What I was indicating was that although it may be cheaper for them to manufacture cars without spare tyres, it is highly unlikely that they will pass on this saving to us, the buyers. Secondly, there are other things which could be removed which would make a car lighter and cheaper to run (electric windows and air conditioning units immediately spring to mind since these are less essential than a spare tyre IMO)

I can assure you what I say is true, I'm not going to trawl through mountains of design build manual specs to prove it, just ask your MOT man the next time you get a service?
Having just asked my neighbours who were standing outside (one of whom runs a "wedding car" service and has several classic cars on his drive, and who happened to be speaking (I tell no lies, it's a small community is our street) to a bloke who lives down the road who is an MOT tester (I know because he does our cars), neither of them have heard of this law. Having just spent 20mins or so trawling the internet, I can't find any reference to this law either. The trouble is that since information dealing with this alleged law is not freely available, at present we only have your word for it. So, since it is important for us to know, please could you source precisely where you have read this since I and and my neighbours can't find it. I've not been lazy here and have genuinely tried to verify your claim as we want to drive legally. You really need to back up your claim with evidence, otherwise we can only believe that it is a figment of your imagination. This isn't name calling, accusing or trolling, it is a request for proof for your claim.

I have to say that I had heard the same thing - tyres on the same axle had to be the same type/size.

After the intro. of the space saver, I assumed I had heard wrong.

Looks like, while it's not illegal to use a space saver, it's actually an MOT failure if presented fitted for test.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

That's if that site is official of course.

Edit: Just checked, it is.

I have to say that I had heard the same thing - tyres on the same axle had to be the same type/size.

After the intro. of the space saver, I assumed I had heard wrong.

Looks like, while it's not illegal to use a space saver, it's actually an MOT failure if presented fitted for test.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

That's if that site is official of course.

Edit: Just checked, it is.
Thanks. But it is a slightly different issue. An MOT failure would provide you sufficient time to make it road worthy without prosecution (exactly the point regarding replacing a spacesaver tyre with one that is of the correct size, viz repairing the blown tyre), whereas it being illegal at the outset makes it a criminal offence once fitted and not declared as SORN. It is this illegality which I believe Mr Moody is claiming to be the case, but I await clarification.

We're not talking about driving with the spacesaver indefinitely, but to the nearest feasable repair centre. This obviates the MOT failure notification.

Yes, I didn't misunderstand the post - it was just the only legal stand I could find after a few mins browsing.

Sponsored Links
Back