not sure how to go about

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
putting low voltage spots in ground floor flat. no access from above, and a bit tight on space, about 250mm between p/board and upstairs. Ceiling is plasterboard. Can make out where old point has been plastered over in centre of room, but how to get from there to the transformers?

Sponsored Links
yup.

"hi. I'm from downstairs. Can i borrow a cup of sugar and er rip up yer lovely laminate?"-

they aint the obliging type.

I was meaning more towards the additional requirements to ensure you do not compromise the fire proofing and acousting properties of your ceiling.

Basically, short of cutting huge holes in the ceiling and making good again, or replacing the entire ceiling, there is not much you can do.

Are you sure you really want downlighters?

They are the most inefficient and impractical lighting known to man.

Could you not find an attractive center light fitting instead?

Sponsored Links
ahh. right.

wife set on downlighting. mmmm food for thought.

so it cant really be done without ripping down old ceiling, putting in junction boxes and transformers, then putting up new plasterboard?
thats gonna cost.

You can do the junction boxes and transformers through the cutout for the fitting. The trouble is going to be getting the wires between the fittings as there will be joists / noggins in the way, and the only way to drill them would be by first making a series of big holes in the ceiling.

thanks rf.

is it expensive to get a 15ft sq ceiling put up- i've no idea.
is it easy to rip the existing one down? any idea

WRT the existing one it may be an easy job if its fairly new, and plasterboard. If its more than 10 years old, it will be messy. If its plaster and laths, it will be VERY messy and the whole flat will need redecorating. I kid you not. I've seen an old ceiling being pulled down. Not pretty.

To skim a ceiling in South Yorkshire, you're talking £100 about half a days work. Down south expect to double or treble this. A skim may be all thats needed if you are careful with the holes and fill them ready for the skim.

Tell SWMBO that her downlights will raise electricity bills and when she wants rid of them you WILL need a new ceiling.

been down the wife shop and there are some pretty god deals down there.

before i get a new one though, i thought about putting up an additional pendant in the unlit corner above the dining table. However, I'm still going to have the same problem of getting through the joists without bringing down a chunk of plasterboard. Thoughts?

or is it really the new wife option...

Cheap at half the price. I've read the judgement in full and it's quite interesting in parts.

Of course it's cheap at half the price - do you mean it's cheap at twice the price?
Sorry if this sounds like petty bickering. :cool: :cool: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back