Not sure how to run broadband fibre wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating a property so while I can get access under floors etc I want to run my cables. The one I'm confused on Is how broadband fibre is installed. I know the green connection goes into the box that's fitted in the house, this box would then be connected to the router. I'm not sure what the other end connects to and also how the other length of wire I have is installed.
We don't yet have fibre in our area but I want to get this installed to avoid having to run surface wires in the future.
One of my cables has a green connector then bare wire the other end.
The other cable has a large black connector with bare wire at the other end.

Attachments

• 20231008_125836.jpg
    20231008_125836.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231008_125908.jpg
    20231008_125908.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231008_125856.jpg
    20231008_125856.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20231008_125841.jpg
    20231008_125841.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
You run Cat 6 ( supports up to 10gb speeds) cable indoors not heard of anyone trying to use fibre cable.?

I've run cat 8 all through the house. I need to run the fibre from the front gate (about 50 meters) to the hallway in the centre of the house. The router will be located in the hall and then the cat 8 will take internet to all the separate rooms.

Check with Openreach, or somewhere such as here https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/ but pound to a penny they'll put the ONT where the fibre enters the house, and will not entertain running their fibre cables through the house to your desired location.

Sponsored Links
The black barrel type connector is meant to connect to the fibre distribution point on the telegraph pole.

You shouldn’t do anything with the fibre side of this yourself. You need a new installation or the existing installation fixed by Openreach (or whoever the network provider is, but it looks like Openreach) arranged by your Internet provider.

Check with Openreach, or somewhere such as here https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/ but pound to a penny they'll put the ONT where the fibre enters the house, and will not entertain running their fibre cables through the house to your desired location.
That's the reason I'm installing it myself. I spoke to a guy from openreach who gave me the cable with the green connection and told me to route this to where I want the router. I was hoping this cable would be long enough to reach to the front gate but it's not. Does anyone know if the bare ends easily be connected together by an installer?

Install ducting, and when fibre is available it can be pulled through that.
That sounds like the best idea, I'm installing underground ducting anyway from front gate to house, I'll install the longer cable with the black connector in the ducting and have the other one running from the hall to where the ducting comes in. That way they have 2 bare ends, if they can connect them together then great, if not then maybe they can pull the new cable through the ducting using the one I've installed. I just don't want wires running along my external and internal walls when I do eventually get fibre

The fibre you have with the green connector on is the Internal Fibre. Run that from where you want the ONT and Router to be located to a suitable point on the outside wall; normally either under where the drop wire attaches to your house or where the underground cable rises but as you are installing the internal fibre cable yourself you do have a degree of flexibility. The internal and external fibre cables are spliced by OpenReach chaps and the excess is coiled up in a grey box attached to the outside of your house.

Sorry, I don't have pictures of the boxes.

Last edited:
The fibre you have with the green connector on is the Internal Fibre. Run that from where you want the ONT and Router to be located to a suitable point on the outside wall; normally either under where the drop wire attaches to your house or where the underground cable rises but as you are installing the internal fibre cable yourself you do have a degree of flexibility. The internal and external fibre cables are spliced by OpenReach chaps and the excess is coiled up in a grey box attached to the outside of your house.

Sorry, I don't have pictures of the boxes.
That sounds ideal, so I can get this 100% in my head. I'll run the internal one to a discreet place on an external wall. I can then run the external one from that point to the front gate.
The installer can then connect the 2 wires on the outside of the house and then they can connect from the street or wherever to where my cable goes to the front gate. Sounds simple enough

A few links to historical threads :-

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back