Not sure what to do ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the answer to my query may be really obvious but I’m reallt clueless when it comes to stuff like this ( sorry )

In my upstairs bedroom, where my skirting board meets my carpet my carpet is damp with what seems to be dirty water when I wipe with a white cloth. It also seems like bits of mud and grass etc is there aswell?? Radiator is right next to this if that makes any difference.

I’m just wondering what this is? Like I said previously the answer may be really obvious but I’ve tried everything I can think of on google and I’m too embarrassed to ask anyone I know incase the answer is stupidly obvious

Sponsored Links
Pull the carpet back to reveal the floorboards or whatever underneath.
Feel the bottom of the radiator for drips or moisture, give us a pic or two and come back!
John :)

Pull the carpet back to reveal the floorboards or whatever underneath.
Feel the bottom of the radiator for drips or moisture, give us a pic or two and come back!

I’m not at home at the moment so will take pictures when I get back. I remember the pipe where you turn the radiator had drips on (but only when turned on I think) do you know what the mud and grass could be?
Thanks for the reply!

As for the mud and grass I'd only suspect a rotten carpet or underlay, so check the carpet edges too.
Initially, your radiator valves are leaking, and most behave when you turn them off. We can advise about those too.
Don't forget the pics !

Sponsored Links
As for the mud and grass I'd only suspect a rotten carpet or underlay, so check the carpet edges too.
Initially, your radiator valves are leaking, and most behave when you turn them off. We can advise about those too.
Don't forget the pics !

Thankyou! I will take pictures etc in the morning so I can see better. I’ve lay down towels to soak up the wetness overnight. I’ve had damp on the bedrooms walls in the past, is there any correlation there?

Possibly, but if the radiator is leaking, and making the carpet wet, which then settles out on the walls, then you would have a lack of ventilation in the room, and the CH system would have lost enough water, that you'd have had to top it up a few time lately.

But if you haven't had to top the system up, then they may not be related, but I suspect you don't have a lot of ventilation in the room.

The condition of the outside walls would have to be truly dreadful for that degree of wet on the first floor......tell us what sort of heating system / boiler you have - combi, vented or whatever.
I reckon these radiator valves have been leaking for a good while!

The condition of the outside walls would have to be truly dreadful for that degree of wet on the first floor......tell us what sort of heating system / boiler you have - combi, vented or whatever.
I reckon these radiator valves have been leaking for a good while!

Hi will take pictures soon. I’ve not had my radiator switched on overnight and the towel I’ve put down is soaked through? So surely can’t be the radiator. Getting really stressed about this. The building I live in an old building.
Thankyou again

Hi will take pictures soon. I’ve not had my radiator switched on overnight and the towel I’ve put down is soaked through? So surely can’t be the radiator. Getting really stressed about this. The building I live in an old building.
Thankyou again

Just to add I live above a pub

I don't think the pubs relevant, but it's nice to get get odd facts now and then.

You didn't mention whether you've had to repressurise the system, or what type of central heating you have. You didn't mention if the windows are left open to allow ventilation, as too much moisture kept inside will eventually settle out on the cold walls, but it sounds as though there's too much water for that. Are the walls wet, and have you felt around the bottom of the rad etc to see if there's a leak.

You haven't switched the radiator on, but it could well be the pipe going into the radiator that's leaking; is there any green marks on the pipes.

Come on Gabriela, concentrate.

do you know what the mud and grass could be?
!
I worked in a few pubs installing heating - Is the flat your own or part of the pub and you rent it ? I wouldn't be surprised if the mud is underlay rotted and if the flat was previously tenanted, the grass could be from seeds of the cannabis family:mrgreen:

Come on Gabriela, concentrate.

^This

Sorry Gabriela but if you ask questions that seem to be time urgent, it might be prudent to show respect to the forum members that are giving up their time to try and help you.

I suspect that Doggit is correct about the valve having leaked at the "tail" end but without photos it is hard to tell.

I don't want you to think that I am giving you a hard time. Honestly not my intention, but sites like this work when the person asking for advice engages fully.

For the record- if the valve is leaking at the copper pipe end, tightening it may work. If it doesn't then the system might need a partial drain down. It isn't a major (read:expensive) job

Hi everyone sorry have been at work 12 till 6 hence the no replies.
- My family and I live in the pub, my father the landlord (working for a brewery we don’t own)
- I’m not sure what system the heating is like I’ve said I really am clueless when it comes to things like this, so sorry I shall try and found out (I’m aware sure this is something that most people would know I’ve just never had to deal with anything of this sort)
- There is parts of the pipe where the paint has flaked off and brown rusty underneath, not quite green though.

I’m sure you will be wondering why I don’t just ask my father but there are reasons why I can’t at the moment (personal) Sorry if that’s confusing and sorry again for the late reply.

Is it possible to get some bowls / trays under the drip in the meantime, do you think? I'd guess by now there could be damage to the ceiling beneath, but lets not worry about that one.
Either way, this repair shouldn't give any professional any problems.....its the sort of thing that surfaces every day!
The entire forum is on the edge waiting for your pics.......:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back