Do I fix my skirtings with a gap under them to tuckin carpet

jer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I haven't done this before, so it might sound like a stupid question, but:

I'm fitting skirtings to my new timber floored extension, which is going to have a standard carpet+underlay fitted (by an expert). Do I leave a small gap (equal to crushed carpet thickness?) under the skirting for the carpet guy to tuck in the edge of the carpet, or do I just fit the skirting down against the floorboards?

Cheers,
jer
:confused:

Sponsored Links
if you are having fitted carpet, then yes, this gap is handy for tucking the edge under. It will hide any rough edges or loose threads. You may find the carpet fitter scratches the skirtings when he zooms the carpet under.

The carpetlayer will probably fix Smoothedge grips to the floor just inside the skirting, and lay the underfelt inside it, then the carpet will be cut bigger, to overlap the grippers and the gap.

It is actually also easier to paint skirting that is not in contact with the floorboards. otherwise you keep getting dirt and dust on your brush.

i wuld ahve said the opposite, a pro carpert fitter will fit bog standard carpet gripper around the edge and "tuck" the carpet down

Sponsored Links
yes, it goes down along the edge of the skirting, not under it

no gaps.

carpets are forced into the gap between the gripper and the skirting, and are held there by the tension created by the gripper holding the carpet firm against the skirting.

probably :confused: :LOL:

Thats waht i meant to say.

a fitted carpet is so called because it is fitted, in that it is strecthed over the carpet grippers, this results in a flat carpet all over the area carpeted

the purpose of the skirting over the last few hundred years is to finnish the gap between floor and plaster and keep out draughts

of course this has varied over the last 20 years ot so with skirting fitted over laminate as the most satisfactory "compromise"both visualy and practicaly

of course some gaps do open up with shrinkage but the desighn is always to have tight fitting skirtings as different floor coverings come and go the skirting will always be there
and if you choose varnished/painted floor boards any gap will add to the ventilation :eek: ;)

No gap, carpet fitter should use a stainless steel smooth bolster to fit carpet and a curved head hammer which both prevent damage to skirting, or he's using the wrong tools .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back