Not sure whether to pressurise central heating or not...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a new house with 21 radiators. I have literally spent days trying to balance up the radiators... I have used Fernox F5 to clean it all out... I've flushed it twice.

I think I'm getting somewhere balancing the rads turning the lock valves millimeters at a time but then next time the heating comes on half of them don't work again.

What are the down side of pressurising the system? Will this solve my troubles? Is this a good plan or a bad idea?

What happens when the pressure gets low as I'm sure it must do or does it sustain itself?

Sponsored Links
That actually makes sense. Godamnit... I don't think I will ever get this system balanced.... its blooming difficult.

A plumber came over and showed me how to do it but said I should do it myself as it will be expensive to have a plumber there for a day to balance it up.

Sponsored Links
Hello, I'm disappointed to wake up today with one radiator!! One measly radiator and its not even that hot.

We have a WSP ESE 125 three speed pump which is on full. It definitely works... and a Boulter Camray 3 which is quite a big oil boiler.

A plumber came over and showed me how to do it but said I should do it myself as it will be expensive to have a plumber there for a day to balance it up.
Unless you want the system tuned 100%, 2 or 3 hours should be enough to get all the rads working more or less the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back