Notching joists tops for 40mm waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I need to move my washing machine, and it's location will be on opposite side to the internal stack ( distance 2.2 meters). The room is on the first floor and I need to run the 40mm waste pipe under floor level but the joists run across the room.

My question is - will building regs allow the notching of the top of the joist's by 40 to 45mm to accommadate the pipe across the room to the stack?

Any advice/direction to find out if this can be done would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon :D

Sponsored Links
:eek: No way.
Surface or outside it is.
Depends what's below, sometimes the best route is through the floor and boxed in across at "coving" level.

Thanks Chris,

What sort of depth is okay, as I have notched for Copper 15/22mm pipe before.

My other thought is a saniflo pump (sanivite) which can discharge 32/22mm pipe, then could it be put through the joists?

any thoughts chris?

Cheers
Simon :(

Thanks Chris,

What sort of depth is okay, as I have notched for Copper 15/22mm pipe before.

My other thought is a saniflo pump (sanivite) which can discharge 32/22mm pipe, then could it be put through the joists?

any thoughts chris?

Cheers
Simon :(

Sponsored Links
i think you may be able to drill holes to take the waste. check with building control.

I think holes are ok too, as long as they are towards the end of the joists and not in the middle where they would weaken the joists too much. You'll need to check with your building control officer to make sure though and s/he might insist that you reinforce the joists using steel plates or something similar if necessary.

Notches should be no more than 1/8th of the depth of the joist i believe.

It's all on the link kindly provided by ChrisR! Don't you guys know how to click on a link?

Actually you are better drilling through the center of the joist as it will weaken it alot less than notching out the top or bottom (neutral axis is in the centre of a beam). Problem then is threading the pipe through unless you can get it in from the end.

B.

Thanks poeple once again for ya advice and thanks chris for the link....!!!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back