Notice Requiring Possession

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a flat/house share and this morning, one of the tenants received a...

NOTICE OF POSSESSION of a Dwelling House
(England & Wales - Housing Act 1988 as amended by Housing Act 1996 - Section 21 Notice)

Their name is on the letter/notice and a date has been given as to when they are to leave. However, as they are flat/house sharing... does this notice solely relate to them (i.e. their room) as opposed to the whole flat/house (including us)?

Sponsored Links
If you have a tenancy agreement stating that you are entitled to rent a different flat/rooms the the notice will only apply to the addressee, not you.
If on the other hand you are sub-letting off the named person you could be in difficult waters.
Check any agreements you may have.

If the person you are renting the house/room from has fallen behind with his mortgage the people who granted the mortgage have the right to repossess the property.

Happened to some people over the road from my brothers last year.
They were renting the property from a landlord who had fallen behind with the mortgage repayments. The house was re-possessed in the afternoon. The tenants came home to find the doors and windows boarded up and a notice on the door saying the property had been re-possessed. It took them a few days of negotiating with the building society just so they could enter the property to get their own belongings.

Sponsored Links
This will happen a lot more as the 'buy to let' bubble finally bursts.

A Section 21 notice is usually served by a landlord who wishes to regain his property at the end of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

It should give 2 months notice to the tenants and you all should start searching for a new property. :cry:

Don't listen to Bahco - contact the CAB. (only jokin' :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: )

A Section 21 notice is usually served by a landlord who wishes to regain his property at the end of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

It should give 2 months notice to the tenants and you all should start searching for a new property. :cry:

But if you can't find one in that time, you are under no obligation to move out.

The landlord will then have to go through the courts which could take another couple of months.

Even when the court order arrives, you can still stay until the bailiffs turn up.

But if you can't find one in that time, you are under no obligation to move out.

The landlord will then have to go through the courts which could take another couple of months.

Even when the court order arrives, you can still stay until the bailiffs turn up.

Suprised you didn't tell him to smash the place up and **** in the water tank. ****ing land lords! How dare anyone own anything.

If you are renting from a buy to let landlord and he defaults on the mortgage, the building society can demand that the tenants move out, but the tenants can stay there and in effect become squatters with a degree of legal rights, a minefield scenario.

..squatters are bad...atleast according to this guy "What kind of a toothless country have we become? If that had happened in America a SWAT team would have been around in two minutes flat to evict them at the point of a machine gun"

I live in a flat/house share and this morning, one of the tenants received a...

NOTICE OF POSSESSION of a Dwelling House
(England & Wales - Housing Act 1988 as amended by Housing Act 1996 - Section 21 Notice)

Their name is on the letter/notice and a date has been given as to when they are to leave. However, as they are flat/house sharing... does this notice solely relate to them (i.e. their room) as opposed to the whole flat/house (including us)?

as it is not in your name. you will have to move out. simple. and shame

It makes me pretty mad when immigrants are granted Council Housing so that people in genuine need (like the OP) struggle to find a place to live.

It makes me pretty mad when immigrants are granted Council Housing so that people in genuine need (like the OP) struggle to find a place to live.
Particularly the case in the Dail Mail today, a returning veteran from Afghanistan is told that he does not meet the criteria for rehousing for him and his family yet an Afghan woman fleeing Afghanistan is given a house for rent valued at over a million pounds the rent being paid for from welfare benefits??? something wrong somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Back