Notifiable or not?

Roo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there's a lot of these questions posted on here, but after looking through a few old post can't find my answers so here goes.........

Mummy and daddy have just had a new hot water tank with new immersion heater fitted today.

The plumber apparently did an excellent job but said he couldn't change the old VIR from switch to heater.

So daddy phoned me and asked if I had some spare 16mm (as this is what he thought the plumber had said). :LOL:

After I explained what 16mm was and that it was far too big for what he needed he asked if I could replace the VIR.

I explained to him about part P to the best of my knowledge and said I would try and find out.

The tank is in an airing cupboard which is in the kitchen.

Does the airing cupboard class as a special location as it is in the kitchen?

Is replacing a length of VIR cable notifiable.

Or in general is what I want to do notifiable? :confused:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
IMO as you are not altering the characteristics of the circuit then it does not need notifying. It is a like for like replacement (albeit a different insulation material) which are exempt, even in special locations.

I doubt many people would bother notifying it.

But looking at //wiki.diynot.com/electrics:part_p:statutory_instrument

it doesn't appear to be exempt from notifying under

"DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

1. Work consisting of -
(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—
(i) any new fixed cabling; or

(ii) a consumer unit
;"

because it does involve new fixed cabling or maybe its a replacement and not new? God only knows..

on the other hand, if the cable happened to get damaged, it looks like it would be non-notifiable under
"(b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;"

Sponsored Links
Not had a good look yet.. but I'm sure there will be some insulation crumbling away always is on the VIR I come across.

and if there's not then.........
I'm sure there will be some insulation crumbling away. :LOL:

Thanks everyone for replies

The 'Approved Documents' aim to give guidance on the application of the Building Regulations. Approved Document Part P (which applies to electrical works) is rather more helpful than the regulations themselves.

In the 'Additional Notes' on page 8 it says:

Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable even if carried out in a kitchen...

It goes on to say that consumer unit replacements are notifiable.

If it were intended that replacement wiring should be notified, you can expect that it would have said so. It has not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back