Notifiable work

bernardgreen said:
They are in some areas of building essential. The regulations and the building inspector were very helpful when we built our house ( self built, my wife and I did 95% of the work ). The guidance and advice were invaluable.
I agree, what i don't agree with is the making of far more work notifiable and the introduction of self certification schemes that have allowed them to do this.

on the other hand deliberately deceiving buyers when you sell a house (one example of this i heared of was cutting the rubber cables under the floor and terminal blocking them to T&E up to a new CU) should be grounds for some serious jail time IMO as it is essentially fraud.

as for not notifying risking prosecution iirc due to the type of offence they have to catch you within 6 months for a procedural violation and there is no way they are going to find out in that time unless you sell your house and probablly not even then.

I just can't see people getting done for failure to notify alone unless the copes are just looking for something to do them for (and lets face it if the cops looking for something to do you for they will probablly find something and if they can't they can always fabricate evidence). They do use it as a stick against those who do shoddy work (since the technical requirements of part P are very vauge) but thats a whole different ball game.

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
Rocket surgeon you may be, kipper, and I have no doubt you think you know the regulations (a lot of electricians imagine they do, too) but not notifying notifiable work is an offence and nobody on here can tell you otherwise.

I hope you remember this if ever you notice your speedometer over 30mph in an urban zone!

I would wager an illegally speeding "competent persons scheme" electrican to be a larger risk to the populus "en masse" than a man/woman self wiring their own kitchen socket.

Eh?? Part P is the law, doesn't matter if you don't agree with it or not, it is here for the foreseeable future. Wether or not you agree with the law is neither here nor there, it is still the law. If you break the law you risk prosecution. I don't advocate breaking the law, wether it is speeding or Part P. If anyone chooses to break the law they should be prepared to take the consequences for their actions.

karatedragon said:
I hope you remember this if ever you notice your speedometer over 30mph in an urban zone!

No worries. I never exceed the posted limits. Good lad, me. :D

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
karatedragon said:

No worries. I never exceed the posted limits. Good lad, me. :D

Not much choice on Kirkstall road ;)

On the Kirkstall Road, Usually turn off the engine and push my van. Saves me diesel, gives me a work out...

...and I get to rest after every two or three feet as I wait for the queue to shuffe forward. ;)

kipper99 said:
Thanks for all the comments - I can see there is a difference of opinion on this :)

I'm in exactly the same position as you, but have a different opinion. I am fully in support of part P, I am just annoyed that as far as I am aware, the Government still has not introduced the competent person scheme for DIYers. The last time I looked there were still just the 5 bodies that are intended for professionals (i.e. electricians).

What more annoys me is that the IET (used to be the IEE) have done nothing about this. They have 1000s of members who have complained about this and they have been ignored.

Dippy said:
I am fully in support of part P, I am just annoyed that as far as I am aware, the Government still has not introduced the competent person scheme for DIYers.

There is no need for such a scheme. DIYer or professional, whether you know it or not (and ignorance of the law is no excuse) you are bound to comply with ALL the building regulations applicable to any job you do.

The standard way to comply is to submit a building notice and undergo inspection.

However, if you are a professional, doing the work day-in, day-out, certain work can be self-certified, for which you need to be assessed as competent.

There is no way to make this an economic route for DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back