notifying insurance company

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm after some advice please.

A relative had a very slight accident with a van yesterday. The van cut across her path, they both stopped and there was virtually no damage to either vehicle, so it would not be worth claiming on insurance. It would also not be worth notifying the respective insurers if it were not for the fact that the incident was witnessed by British Transport Police, and the van is a company van, and it is their company policy to inform their insurers if Police are notified.

So should my relative notify her insurer? The damage is so minimal that a spot of T-cut and a polish will make it good, and the Police only stopped to offer assistance and manage the traffic flow. She is worried that this may affect her premiums, as although it is not a "claim" it is an "incident".

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I think she would be ill advised to not do so just in case the van company makes a claim. Even though it sounds like their fault.

thanks for your reply. The other party will not be claiming, but merely notifying their insurers as it's company policy. My gut instinct is for her to notify her insurers, but she is worried about it affecting her premiums.

Notify them.

Remember you are required to notify them of 'material facts' and they might consider this to be one of them, if they learn of the incident, with any future claims she might have.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, notify it is then. Do you think this will affect her premiums? Also, I have heard that although there is not a "claim" in the monetary sense, there is a "claim" of an incident so that her "no-claims" discount may be affected?

no-claims means you have not made a claim on your policy for money or repairs.

If you don't notify them and the other party does you may find that they assume the accident was your fault.

Peter

John, thanks for clarifying that.

Peter, that's a very good point.

Thanks for your advice guys.

So there appears to be nothing as simple as merely "notifying" an insurance company. She advised them of what happened, and now it's escalated to emails saying solicitors will be involved, even though there is not a claim being pursued from either side! So I guess due to the extra work involved there will be an impact on her premium. No doubt she should also expect communication from the whiplash claims companies as well.

Sponsored Links
Back