Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine that scaffolding will need dismantling and replacing.
Not an enjoyable job!

Sponsored Links
Doesn’t look too bad this morning, there’s people walking about on top of it so possibly not as bad as expected. All the stone work seems unaffected. Still going to be a massive job though.

I remember a friend going to ND, she lit a candle and was having a moment of contemplation when a nun walked up and blew it out and said "we are closed"

Sponsored Links
The fire investigators are not 100% certain of the cause of the fire and are just working on a hunch at the moment.

Not a patch on Durham Cathedral...Surely God can rebuild it..lolololololololl...i'm a comedian!!!!

Durham Cathedral is a stupendously wonderful building, rising up on its mount out of the river as if part of nature that has been there forever. Few buildings can match cathedrals - Liverpool's Anglican is possibly the best building in the country. I doubt that a fire could do it much harm.

Architectural style is very important, ugly surroundings make ugly people. Buildings of the past were built to blend into, enhance and frame their natural surroundings. Churches and their associated buildings and precincts are the most beautiful and welcoming places that exist in any country. The loss of religion has lost us all this. Now we have purely functional, cheap buildings of metal tubes and glass which only uglify their situation.

What great buildings has the loony left given us, or the E.U. for that matter?

Wtf are all those idiots contributing money for, when the insurers will be paying out for the rebuild?

Churches and their associated buildings and precincts are the most beautiful and welcoming places that exist in any country. The loss of religion has lost us all this.
The buildings are still there.

I think the loony left, the loony right and the loony centrists have built great buildings and not so great buildings.
The same applies to the EU.

It was that most looniest of left engineers Thomas Telford that built some of the wonderful bridges and canals that survive to this day.

The firemen who tackled the blaze did a great job.
According to the experts another half an hour and the whole building would have been destroyed.

Is it important to you, that you know of an architects' political affiliation before looking at a building? If you were to find out a beautiful building was funded or designed by left wing people, would you no longer admire it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links