Novice electrician, training, and regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm a professional plumber with a problem. I have an established customer base and people keep asking me to do minor electrical work.

Plumbers usually turn down electrical work without even blinking, but I'm proficient at small jobs and I understand and follow safety precautions. I've gotten into the habit of taking on some small jobs, believing that I'm mitigating all risks and staying within the law. It was easier to believe this before 1st Jan 2005, and I'm not so sure anymore.

Can anyone help me understand the minefield of regulations, and also give some advice on what I would need to do in order to undertake more electrical work? Specific questions are as follows;

1. What am I prohibited from undertaking on my own property as a private individual?

2. What am I prohibited from undertaking on customers' properties, given that I have no electrical qualifications at all?

3. Which specific laws and regulations define the above prohibitions?

4. What training must I have undertaken and/or accredication must I hold in order to adhere to those laws and regulations?

5. Where the work is classed is prohibited, is it the actual work that an unqualified person must not carry out, or is it the testing of the work, or both?

If there's another forum posting that has already answered all of these then I apologise - if you could point me in the right direction then I'll happily follow.

Thanks.
bob

Sponsored Links
basically you cant do any electrical work in a property .. all electrical work has to certified AND TESTED.!!!!!

minor work comprises of alterations only .. adding a sw fuse spur etc to a existing circuit.. or extending from a final ring etc.... fro this minmum competence is a domestic installer cert/ela cert/16th edition cert. to prove competance ..

anything else needs a domestic instalation cert

to do the above you need to be part p approved and have joined a scheme.

so you can notify your work much like corgi does.

only the minor works need not be notified ...unless in a special location..

ie: kitchen/bathroom/swimming pool areas and out door circuits. etc..

basically you should not be doing anything with electrics unless it has a plug on it .. !

as the man at niciee said £5000 pound fine for every job done plus the cost of rectifying it ..

gulp. !

Sponsored Links
2face said:
basically you should not be doing anything with electrics unless it has a plug on it .. !
That's a pity because I have been doing that.

also not mentiponed is as you are a plumber, will your insurance cover you for an electrical "problem" regardless of your fault or not since it was you who last worked on that cct

2face, not so! If he is not registered with one of the scams, sorry i mean schemes, he can do any electrical work that he is competent to do.
The work should be carried out in a safe manner and may be need to meet certain standards.

Before starting the work he must notify the local authority who will inspect the work in progress and (should) test it on completion. For this he, or the customer will need to pay an inordinate fee.

Any DIYer can take this route, if they want to.

Have a proper read of the links posted above.

sorry i knew that an meant to put that in to .. report to building controls BEFORE WORKS STARTS..

but if I replace a faulty electric shower then are u saying I have to notify or be qualified / registered?!

not if you put in a boiler operated one.

(sorry cant think what it would be called)

combination shower...

if you touch anyhting in a bathroom you are down as testing all the other bits needed for safety .. ie: supplemetart bonding etc... continuation of all earths and phases .. etc

plumb-bob said:
but if I replace a faulty electric shower then are u saying I have to notify or be qualified / registered?!

You do not need to notify the LABC for a straight replacement, even in a bathroom (although you still need to test and certify the circuit), but you do still have to be competent to do that work, and be able to prove your competence should something go wrong.

I don't get that, why do I test and certify if I've just replaced a faulty unit?

Does this apply for a socket ouetlet? And a ceiling light fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back