Now it's Honda leaving...

Sponsored Links
Direct or indirect,,,he ain’t going to dish the dirt on his sponsors,,now that would be Silly!

Do you have any information to support your suggestion that Prof David Bailey would be influenced by the financiers of any projects?

So are you talking about the economy or green motoring?
You were suggesting that Warwick Uni might have a better understanding of the economic environment because they are more concerned with the technology of battery research.
You also implied that Aston Uni were not particularly expert in economics.
I countered your arguments by showing that a) Aston Business School is where Prof David Bailey exercises his talents, and b) that Aston Business School is a world renown institution, especially on Management and Economics.
You also omitted the information about Aston Uni and its Technology faculty:
Research in the School of Engineering and Applied Science
The School of Engineering and Applied Science carries out research that is relevant to the current and future needs of society. All our staff are engaged in research and with unusually large proportion of them operating research projects linked to industry.
https://www2.aston.ac.uk/eas/research

Thus the reader can make their own choice about who is more suited to making judgmental opinions about the economy. And who is more suited to making judgmental opinion about battery research.

No I want to question the reliability. The discrepancies aren't here nor there if the same person is willing to make two vastly differing claims only based on a think tanks ideas and projection models.
Are the discrepancies neither here nor there, or are they vastly different?
You are still concentrating on the discrepancies without considering the bigger picture, that the economy is being adversely effected by Brexit, by any estimation.
Still remembering that the estimates are adverse effects on the public finances only. Individual households are estimated to be £400 worse off already.

Maybe your diversion is intentional in order to distract from the bigger picture, i.e. the effect on the economy of Brexit?

Last edited:
Do you have any information to support your suggestion that Prof David Bailey would be influenced by the financiers of any projects?
Common sense,,do you have any info he will not put in a good word for the people paying his mortgage?

Sponsored Links
Common sense,
You suggest that worthy academics are liable to bias due to pressure from their financiers based on nothing but your common sense?
As I said before, project support/financing does not pay the wages of those undertaking the research. If you thought it did......... perhaps your common sense is suspect.

You suggest that worthy academics are liable to bias due to pressure from their financiers based on nothing but your common sense?
Indeed.Prove otherwise.It is definetly a veryy minority past time,,going to work for a laugh.Employed people tend not to be that for long if they criticise employers.

Prove otherwise.
Obviously not!

Common sense,
Indeed.Prove otherwise.It is definetly a veryy minority past time,,going to work for a laugh.Employed people tend not to be that for long if they criticise employers.
o_O

There you go then Jason....Sorted.
“I decry the injustice of my wounds, only to look down and see that I am holding a smoking gun in one hand and a fistful of ammunition in the other.”
Craig D. Lounsbrough

“I decry the injustice of my wounds, only to look down and see that I am holding a smoking gun in one hand and a fistful of ammunition in the other.”
Craig D. Lounsbrough

Oh god watch out, Jasonzyx is a terrorist, hes got a bomb :eek:

You also implied that Aston Uni were not particularly expert in economics.

I implied they were not particularly expert in battery cell research.

Curious why they didn't ask someone from Warwick uni which has a dedicated arm to battery and energy research.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/research/hvmcatapult/energyinnovationcentre/

Aston university are apparently famous for

In response to:

Experts including Prof David Bailey from Aston University said the UK can be a hub for the manufacturing of electric cars but it would require the UK to be in a customs union with the EU and have access to the single market.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47290667

Not sure what argument you believe I made but we're not producing electric cars en masse or in high volume. Until then whatever you're talking about is completely irrelevant. Talking economics without a product to trade isn't a garden path I'm going to walk down with you.

The UK can be the hub of a product were not producing? Right.

You are still concentrating on the discrepancies without considering the bigger picture

Do I need to repeat myself?

I implied they were not particularly expert in battery cell research.
No-one suggested they were. Economics and Business is their forte.

Talking economics without a product to trade isn't a garden path I'm going to walk down with you.
Very wise. Attempting to counter Prof David Bailey's researched and considered opinion would be fraught with risk. He was also just one of a range of experts sharing the same opinion.

The UK can be the hub of a product were not producing?
According to Prof David Bailey, the UK cannot be a hub for producing electric vehicles whilst outside of the Customs Union and the Single Market.

Thus, if Honda were considering constructing electric vehicles in UK, they would choose not to, because of Brexit!

.. whatever you're talking about is completely irrelevant.
Why can the UK not design and manufacture a decent car?
Experts including Prof David Bailey from Aston University said the UK can be a hub for the manufacturing of electric cars but it would require the UK to be in a customs union with the EU and have access to the single market.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47290667
If the future of vehicle manufacturing is electric, and Ian H wants to know whether we could design and build a suitable vehicle in UK, Prof David Bailey and others think that it would not be feasible outside of the EU.

Last edited:
No-one suggested they were. Economics and Business is their forte.

Again you've missed the point.

Very wise. Attempting to counter Prof David Bailey's researched and considered opinion would be fraught with risk. He was also just one of a range of experts sharing the same opinion.

And again.

According to Prof David Bailey, the UK cannot be a hub for producing electric vehicles whilst outside of the Customs Union and the Single Market.

And again.

We're in the Customs Union and single market and I first worked at Warwicks cell testing facility 5 years ago and they were testing alternatives long before that yet JLR who part fund it and Catapult research, still rely heavily on Diesel; who happen to have lost £3.4bn this year was it?

The SM and CU point is irrelevant because we've nothing to sell into it. JLR still haven't put their hybrid range rover on the market. EDIT: You can order one now starting at £70k.

I could say we could be the hub of selling stroopwaffles as long as we were in the SM and CU and it would be just as much of a realistic prospect because we don't make those either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again you've missed the point.
And again.
And again.
Perhaps your points are a bit obscure?

We're in the Customs Union and single market and I first worked at Warwicks cell testing facility 5 years ago and they were testing alternatives long before that yet JLR who part fund it and Catapult research rely heavily on Diesel; who happen to have lost £3.4bn this year was it?

The SM and CU point is irrelevant because we've nothing to sell into it. JLR still haven't put their hybrid range rover on the market.
Remember the topic of the thread?
The point is, as I have said, if and when we had a suitable electric'/hybrid vehicle to sell into EU, we would not be in a suitable geopolitical-economic position to do so due to Brexit.
And, I will repeat myself, if Honda or Nissan were considering producing an electric vehicle in UK, they would choose not to due to Brexit.

Edit. I don't think anyone suggests that the future should be invested in stroopwaffles, or that the UK will be losing thousands, and thousands of jobs due to the loss of stroopwaffle production.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back