Now it's Honda leaving...

Sponsored Links
No, they would choose not to because they have no need to produce anything else outside of Japan to trade into the EU.

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/eu-japan-economic-partnership-agreement/

It's not UK production that will consolidate in Japan but rather European production.
The UK were a strong advocate of this EU-Japan trade deal, but will not now be a beneficiary of it.

Honda are now abandoning 3500 skilled, semi-skilled and non-skilled workers, plus investment in a multi-acre site in order to start afresh in Japan.
This is a decision taken after UK had encouraged, promised and even financially subsidised Japanese business into UK. Then reneged on those promises.

Would Honda and Nissan chose to remain in UK if they were no Brexit.

No.

You're dreaming if you think otherwise.
Not my dream.
"No private company can continue operations" in the UK if it becomes unprofitable, Koji Tsuruoka (Tokyo's Ambassador to Britain.) told reporters on the steps of May's Downing Street residence, after the premier pledged to pursue frictionless trade with the European Union. "It is as simple as that."
Japanese business officials' blunt talk is unusual for a corporate culture where confrontation is frowned upon and contrasts with many UK firms' own reluctance to speak out about Brexit.
https://europe.autonews.com/article...oodbye-to-uk-as-gateway-to-europe-post-brexit

Sponsored Links
Not my dream.
"No private company can continue operations" in the UK if it becomes unprofitable, Koji Tsuruoka (Tokyo's Ambassador to Britain.) told reporters on the steps of May's Downing Street residence, after the premier pledged to pursue frictionless trade with the European Union. "It is as simple as that."
Japanese business officials' blunt talk is unusual for a corporate culture where confrontation is frowned upon and contrasts with many UK firms' own reluctance to speak out about Brexit.
https://europe.autonews.com/article...oodbye-to-uk-as-gateway-to-europe-post-brexit

Make up your mind. You asked what would it be if there was no brexit then quote an article talking about with brexit.

Would Honda and Nissan chose to remain in UK if they were no Brexit.

Interesting article on BBC site today that explores the idea that the car as a means of transport is in decline anyway. Even electric cars.

The move is towards other means of personal and public transport for most of our journeys.

Make up your mind. You asked what would it be if there was no brexit then quote an article talking about with brexit.
I am sorry, if you are confused. I thought that someone who worked at the Warwick Uni cell testing facility five years ago would have the ability to accommodate the reality and the 'what if' scenario.

Would that be the cell testing facility built in 2016, 2017, or the ones built in 2018?

Last edited:
I am sorry, if you are confused.

Nice try.

No confusion here. You asked what the situation would be if there was no brexit then quote an article talking about the situation with brexit.

In either case the trade relationship now in place with Honda would still consolidate by 2022.

Would that be the cell testing facility built in 2016, 2017, or the ones built in 2018?

Cell testing has been happening well before 2016 at Warwick.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/research/vef/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice try.

No confusion here. You asked what the situation would be if there was no brexit then quote an article talking about the situation with brexit.
To illustrate that despite Honda's denial that Brexit had any influence in their decision, I used that quote to show that despite Japanese frowning upon political confrontation, their ambassador thought that the comment deserved to be made. Additionally he demonstrated how Brexit will affect the decisions of Japanese businesses.

Of course you could dismiss his comments as irrelevant, if you wish.

I then suggested the 'what if' scenario, which you have answered, dismissing the Japanese Ambassador's comments in the process.

So what, precisely, are you querying?

To illustrate that despite Honda's denial that Brexit had any influence in their decision, I used that quote to show that despite Japanese frowning upon political confrontation, their ambassador thought that the comment deserved to be made. Additionally he demonstrated how Brexit will affect the decisions of Japanese businesses.
Give over..Ridiculous lengths you lot will go to to blame decisions on brexit..Mr Honda CEO is a bit scared of telling the truth!!..yeah right

"Ian Howells, senior vice-president for Honda in Europe, told the BBC: "We're seeing unprecedented change in the industry on a global scale. We have to move very swiftly to electrification of our vehicles because of demand of our customers and legislation.

"This is not a Brexit-related issue for us, it's being made on the global-related changes I've spoken about.

"We've always seen Brexit as something we'll get through, but these changes globally are something we will have to respond to. We deeply regret the impact it will have on the Swindon community."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47287386

Why should we disbelieve him? Because it doesn't suit some people's narrative?
Of course you could dismiss his comments as irrelevant, if you wish.

Give over..Ridiculous lengths you lot will go to to blame decisions on brexit..Mr Honda CEO is a bit scared of telling the truth!!..yeah right

Honda have already said it's not Brexit. No idea why their word isn't enough.

Any other Japanese firm offers their two pence against brexit and it's gospel.

All while Japan now has their own direct deal with the EU.

Madness to think otherwise.

Honda have already said it's not Brexit. No idea why their word isn't enough.

Any other Japanese firm offers their two pence against brexit and it's gospel.

All while Japan now has their own direct deal with the EU.

Madness to think otherwise.
Remainiac madness.

Sponsored Links
Back