Now it's Honda leaving...

You've just driven yourself around in circles
I must admit it's been difficult following your circuitous arguments. It has resembled a roundabout.

Evidently the second part of your statement is also incorrect.
with something no one else is taking about
Just a small sample of comments in this thread. It hasn't been just you and me.
Honda set to close Swindon car plant
Brexit is understood to be a factor in the decision, with the carmaker concerned about the imposition of new tariffs after the UK leaves the EU"
Brexit = Political/Social/Economic suicide!

It has become tedious hasn't it. Perhaps those that said the referendum result has had no effect on UK prosperity, would respond to multiple announcements of UK gloom and doom as 'boring'.

BreBrexit will punish a generation through lower growth, poorer standards and greater inequality.

the uk will lead the developed world on green economics.

According to the correspondent tonight on r5live, he too thought "Brexit", when he heard the news.

They are citing global trends.

Why can the UK not design and manufacture a decent car?

Sponsored Links
Honda have already said it's not Brexit. No idea why their word isn't enough.

Japanese business officials' blunt talk is unusual for a corporate culture where confrontation is frowned upon and contrasts with many UK firms' own reluctance to speak out about Brexit.
https://europe.autonews.com/article...oodbye-to-uk-as-gateway-to-europe-post-brexit

Madness to think otherwise.
Madness to dismiss the possibility out of hand, based on ideologically driven beliefs.

Sponsored Links
It's slowly eeking out, the old Himmy. I wonder how long you can keep this facade going!
I did wonder.
On the very rare occasion that their posts contain any semblance of sensible debate, then counter them where they are weakest, with intelligent, reasoned debate. They inevitably resort to abuse, insults or irrational comments when they are proven wrong. Thereby demonstrating their inability to discuss anything with a degree of decency. I suspect most observers then see them for what they are.

Clearly, I was referring to the Japanese Ambassador's comments.
You may not have realised that. It has been a rather tortuous discussion trying to follow Sammy's logic.
At least he has some.You just think Honda are lying

Honda tell the truth. The UK is no longer an appealing place to invest with Brexit looming . Who can blame them switching production away from the UK.

Honda tell the truth. The UK is no longer an appealing place to invest with Brexit looming . Who can blame them switching production away from the UK.
Rofl...they said its not Brexit related

Suppose it's due to brexit they're pulling out of Turkey too?

"We have decided to carry out this production realignment in Europe in light of our efforts to optimize production allocation and production capacity globally as well as accelerating electrification," Hachigo said. "We have made this announcement today due to the timing for deciding on a production base for the next Civic. So, this decision has nothing to do with the Brexit."

With the start of the next-generation Civic, other regions will pick up the output that came from Swindon, Honda said. This includes a bigger share for Honda's North American plants. About 55 percent of Swindon's output is exported to North America.

The EU-Japan Economic Partnership Agreement, in force since Feb. 1, ensures that the bloc’s 10 percent tariff on Japanese car imports will be reduced to zero over the next 10 years.

The treaty makes it easier for Japanese automakers to localize production at home for sale in the EU, consulting firm LMC Automotive said in a report this month. The UK is most at risk because almost half of the cars made in the country are Japanese branded, and Japanese automakers want to increase utilization of plants at home.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/honda-will-close-uk-turkey-plants-restructuring-move

The fact is they can get parts produced for less on the Asian market with a shorter distance to plant and now have a direct line to German engineering facilities so it makes zero financial sense to remain in the UK with or without Brexit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suppose it's due to brexit they're pulling out of Turkey too?
Although Turkey has free trade with EU (on Industrial goods), it does not benefit from all the other FTAs that EU has with other countries.
UK does, and would continue to benefit from all those other FTAs that EU has with other countries, but obviously will not do so after Brexit.

Sponsored Links
Back