Nuie Ivo cistern water inlet design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitting a Nuie Ivo close coupled comfort height toilet today as part of a bathroom refit for my mum and dad. I've come across one or two challenging loos in the past but this one is a bit more annoying than most and I wondered if anyone else has seen something similar, and if so, what approach did they take?

The first thing that strikes you on this loo, is the water inlet isn't just partially obscuring one of the mounting holes (which is quite common and can usually be worked around by drilling at angles etc. ), it is completing obscuring it with only a 10mm gap such that you have no option but to mount the cistern to the wall before fitting the inlet. I tried it that way, but it leaves you having to work through a hole in the toilet pan to try to secure the plastic back nut, which has a couple of tabs suggesting you should be able to do it by hand but I struggled to get it tight enough to stop it leaking as my fingers could barely get to the tabs.

On other brands I've fitted, you assemble the cistern fully before installing it (and the inlet can easily be done up by hand that way) - which is what I had to do in this case, and just left it with the left hand fixing for the moment. It really does need both to secure it properly though.

I thought about adding some washers to bring the back nut further down so I could get a tap wrench on it, but the threaded portion of the water inlet is way too short for that (so much so, that my tap connector nut goes most of the way into the hole and you struggle to get a tap wrench on what's left exposed).

The cistern needs to come off again anyway, so I'm thinking my options are:

1. See if there is space in the pan hole to get one of my crows foot wrenches up to tweak the back nut (I only had a couple of tap spanners with me today which were quite bulky types)
2. Drill another securing hole in the cistern with a tile drill, where its more accessible
3. See if I can get a pair of long nosed pliers onto the back nut - but my pipework is fixed not flexi which restricts working space around the inlet

At the moment, option 2 is looking favourite but I'm asking myself why on earth I should have to do that to a new product.

Thanks.

Nuie Ivo.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just to close the loop on this for anyone else with the same loo/problem. I decided it was impossible to fit the inlet valve after fitting the cistern in my case. The space and access underneath was just too poor. Might have had a small chance with a flexi hose connection to the valve but not with fixed copper pipe. So I ended up drilling an extra securing hole in the cistern as you can see below with my set of (now blunt!) tile drills.

Toilet.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back