Number plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why are there so many number plates, newish ones, that are discoloured? Where it looks like black has "bled" into the yellow background from the top of the plate and made big blotches in it, normally rendering the letters illegible to ANPR systems.

What causes this, and has it happened to you?

Sponsored Links
laminate seperates from the back of the plate letting dirt in.

normally rendering the letters illegible to ANPR systems

BUt thats a good think surely, I want to go get some cheap plates now :D

Sponsored Links
moisture creeps causing the black stain, when making the plate it should go several times through the rollers evacuating all the air bubbles.

Why are there so many number plates, newish ones, that are discoloured? Where it looks like black has "bled" into the yellow background from the top of the plate and made big blotches in it, normally rendering the letters illegible to ANPR systems.

What causes this, and has it happened to you?

You have to pay extra to get the unreadable plates ;) It saves a fortune in speeding tickets :cool:

Some new plates are even cheaper, they seem to be very thin with stick on characters & an even thinner top layer.

AFAIK you cannot get the stick on letters to make your own any more :(

AFAIK you cannot get the stick on letters to make your own any more :(

I think Only certain places can make them now.

all plates must have the maker of the plates on them now so they are traceable.

Any without are apparently illegal.

Absoulutley correct. You have to show your log book to prove its your car and its logged at the shop. If a shop is making up the plates without being registered then they are illegal. It has a small code at the bottom of the plate which refers to the shop making it.

Absoulutley correct. You have to show your log book to prove its your car and its logged at the shop. If a shop is making up the plates without being registered then they are illegal. It has a small code at the bottom of the plate which refers to the shop making it.

no it doesn't. i believe the only requisites are the BS number, postcode and name of the plate maker.

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 states the requirements for the display of registration marks, which includes that the plate must conform with British Standard BS AU 145d.

BS AU 145d sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate, including that it must be marked with "The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plates.)", amongst other information.

Unless they're show plates. Which are illegal on the road, but that's bye-the-bye :)

for the last 6 months ive not even had a number plate on the front..

loads of police seen it and not bothered a jot.
even passed loads of cop and a zapper - just looked at me passing and sees the back plate and he is happy.

they dont really care as long as it can be read.

Sponsored Links
Back