Numpties! Training the trainer.

rjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This post is just a bit of fun aimed at anyone who has done / doing any C&G course at college rather than following a qualified sparky via an apprenticeship route.

I was having an e-mail discussion with one of the regualr posters here over the last couple of days and it turns out even though we are at differnet ends of the country we happened to know the same trainer / teacher from the C&G course we are doing.

This led to a discussion of some of his strange practises which he thinks are the correct (and rather arrogantly the only way of doing things).

So this is my list of things of some of the things I've been taught so far.

1. When stripping T&E you must ONLY use an electrical stripping knife - all other methods are "dangerous" - never use a stanley knife or 'v' grove wire strippers etc. The 'simple' operation is performed by holding aforementioned T&E over your thumb and cutting rigerously into PVC until you slip and thumb bleeds as demonstrated.

2. When bending steel conduit ensure the bend is at 90 degrees but placing spirit level on pipe at top - (fine - but teacher didn't ensure floor was level so ever bend was at 95 degrees. "That's close enough you get the idea lads" was responce)

3. When demonstarting stripping and terminating MICS never use any protection against magnesium oxide irritant ie latex glove- especially if you have sensitive skin (that way you can itch all day long)

4. Demonstrate your teaching skills to the max by spending all day with someone who knows what they are doing and leave those who don't or need a bit of guidance to their own devices.

Any more quality trainer gaffs out there. ;)

Sponsored Links
Our 2391 trainer in class got confused when he was talking abount TNCS and one of the pupils said "that's the same as PME isn't it?" He said no, he has since left after many people failed the course.

I always cut T&E with snips down the centre nibbling just over an inch in and spilt the cable by pulling the live and neutral away from each other.

I always cut T&E with snips down the centre nibbling just over an inch in and spilt the cable by pulling the live and neutral away from each other.

Oh no don't open up this can of worms :D

You'll get loads of them talking about stretching conductors and the like!!

he has since left after many people failed the course.

as usual 'they' always realise too late after decent people have wasted time, resources and money.

We had the same thing at Law School a long ago with an EU lecturer (but that was another life)

That method does NOT stretch any conductors. Think about it again!

Sponsored Links
Latex gloves when doing MI ? Surely you've be laughed at and called a girl? :LOL:

Not particulary nice if you rub your eyes though or otherwise get it in them! ... nothing plenty of water won't sort though

As for the T+E, I generally favor running the blade down pointing inwards towards the CPC, but I do on occasion use the CPC as a rip cord :oops:

1. When stripping T&E you must ONLY use an electrical stripping knife - all other methods are "dangerous" - never use a stanley knife or 'v' grove wire strippers etc. The 'simple' operation is performed by holding aforementioned T&E over your thumb and cutting rigerously into PVC until you slip and thumb bleeds as demonstrated.

so you dont use some ikea scissors ;)

"but I do on occasion use the CPC as a rip cord "

A definate no no.
It`s CPC abuse and is punishable by death.

Skillfull use of a sharp knife running down whilst resting on the cpc as a guide whilst keeping the sharp point away from it too.
It becomes second nature after a while.

When I started my apprenticeship, and was doing my basic skills training they were showing us the correct way to strip T&E - very neatly with a knife down the centre.... straight after the lecturer said 'now this is the electricity board way of doing it' - and used the cheese slice method, advising us everyone does do it but strictly its not correct for the following reason:

What is interesting is that the cpc will stretch more or less depending on who the cable is actually made by, as different manufacturers use different strengths of pvc covering.

If the cable is made by copper cable co., then its nice and soft and you will have no problem at all. Use stuff by pirelli and its alot tougher, and you will stretch the cpc.

It doesnt matter how you do it, so long as the resistance of that particular cpc is still within its limits. If not then you know whats caused it to go high.

My advice is if the pvc is nice and soft its fine to do it, but if its tough you could cause probs.

As for stripping normal round flex, get yourselves a jokari knife ;)

Lol
I always use a knife...I feel more comfortable than using a snips. But again its what you are all used to
One thing though I do take the edge off the Stanley knife and blunt the point ...Saves a lot of blood
If the knife becomes too blunt then I sharpen it up on a small stone that I have spat on Yuck sorry if you are eating while reading this :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back