Numpty Hot Water Temperature Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

With the price of Gas I thought that I would alter the timings for my hot water and heating. I've received another bill and my reduced timings haven't made any impact. Next step is to lower the hot water temperature which needs doing anyway as the water does get very hot out of the tap.

I cannot find the thermostat for my hot water! :oops:

I have a Potterton Promax HE boiler with a honeywell programmer for the timings. The only thermostat I can find is on the immersion heater which is off. I have lowered the temperature on the immersion to see if it makes a difference but it doesn't appear too.

I am sure this is a very simple problem to solve, but I am stuck.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Sponsored Links
Hi Kev,

So what I think is the immersion thermostat is actually the one for the boiler heated hot water as this is on the hot water tank.

I will lower it a lot and see if that changes the water temp

Thanks
Steve

kevplumb said:
it should be strapped to the cylinder

About, a third of the way up the side of the cylinder. Set it to 50°.

Your room stat shoild be set to about 20°C

Sponsored Links
Thanks Baxpoti,

The heating is set to 20, but the water was around 55 from memory before I lowered it a day or so ago. As the water still feels very hot I have lowered it to below 40 to see if I can notice a difference in the hot water temp out of the tap.

How long should the boiler be on for to heat the water. I had it set for one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening and haven't run out of hot water so far.

Cheers
Steve

Tell you what Steve why dont you just turn off the power to the system, turn off the gas at the meter and have cold baths and showers and buy a load of extra jumpers!!

Bills will be mega cheap then me old skin flint :LOL:

Stan

Thanks Stan you cheeky bugger :D

Happy to use the heating and hot water just don't want to waste money as I am skint.

The Gas and electric are about £100 a month at the moment. Gas is about £60 of that bill.

Steve

Did you say your house was 8 or 9 bedrooms Steve :eek:

I have a 3 bed detached with a band A Vaillant Ecomax. My heating is on 24 hrs a day 19 deg during the day and 17deg on a night.
All rads have TRVs but none are below 3
Use shower all the time not bath and my bill is £43 per month with BG which will obviously be going down 11% soon.

I would say you are definatly on the high side there.Maybe your are not as tight as I thought :D

Stan

steve_berkshire said:
Thanks Baxpoti,

The heating is set to 20, but the water was around 55 from memory before I lowered it a day or so ago. As the water still feels very hot I have lowered it to below 40 to see if I can notice a difference in the hot water temp out of the tap.

How long should the boiler be on for to heat the water. I had it set for one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening and haven't run out of hot water so far.

Cheers
Steve

Stored water temp stat should be set at 55-60deg to control bacteria, better safe than sorry!!
Why not check temp of hot water with a thermometer to make sure your cylinder stat is controlling to what it says it is?
It should take about 20 mins for the water to heat up to 60 deg - assuming a 120 litre cylinder and correct primary temperature.

pannierstan said:
Did you say your house was 8 or 9 bedrooms Steve :eek:

I have a 3 bed detached with a band A Vaillant Ecomax. My heating is on 24 hrs a day 19 deg during the day and 17deg on a night.
All rads have TRVs but none are below 3
Use shower all the time not bath and my bill is £43 per month with BG which will obviously be going down 11% soon.

I would say you are definatly on the high side there.Maybe your are not as tight as I thought :D

Stan

I have a 3 bedroom mid-terrace house.

Stan, is your hot water on 24/7 too? What your hot water temp set to?

Breesey said:
Stored water temp stat should be set at 55-60deg to control bacteria, better safe than sorry!!

I never even thought of that! Now I have something else to think about :confused:

Thanks
Steve

Steve my system is different in that I have a combi which heats water on demand, but my bills have not changed since I installed it 2 years ago.

I had a high recovery cylinder on the old system set at 60 deg on the stat and the water was on 4 hrs per day.

Another thing. There are only 2 of us. If you have a family of 9 then thats gonna count in the number of showers. Get the snip mate :LOL:

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back