NVQ 3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hope someone can help I’m doing my NVQ3 and have to build a portfolio and could really do with some help and suggestions.
If anyone has a copy i could look at that would be great i only have 4 months to start and finish it and any help would be greatly received!!

If anyone has any jobs in or around Stockport or Manchester that they would be willing to have some free labour on in return for the evidence that i need that would be a big help too.

if anyone knows oh any hints cheats or tips that i could use that would be just fab as well like i say i don’t have long to do it...

thanks craig

Sponsored Links
A cheers guy that’s a good idea to do some in my house could put some conduit up and singles for the nvq.
I think i could get some bits from college just don’t want it to look fake. I can get a couple of domestic bits and bobs at work, just commercial and agricultural and indst how did you guys get that stuff???? Or how could I errrmmmm for want of a better word blagg it.

Really only doing domestic work at the min for the company i work for would rather do it proply but struggling to get the work experience from anywhere

Anyone got any examples of the nvq to see what i should be putting together until i get the portfolio

Sponsored Links
I've just recently had mine signed off after deciding its something I did really need to get sorted before they changed the format of the qualfications...

I didn't have too much difficultly in finding stuff to submit, a lot of its H&S based, and you don't have to show many examples of different stuff... so if you can make an excuse to thread a bit of tube... say for example you are adding a light and switch to a non-rcd circuit in domestic ;) that'll probably be sufficent evidence of working with galv tube!

Its one of those jumping through hoops things, and perhaps doesn't prove a great deal, but thats how the system is like it or not!

Cheers m8thats great stuff but not sure if the place i work for would fit any circuit not rcd protected they are h&s made lol but will defo do it and rcd protect it, it’s just for the file..

BUT isn’t that just domestic work?? Bit confusing!! I know that i have to do tube and wiring but how do you prove it for commercial and indst and argycul working near large machinery three phase ECT...

Starting to panic lol.

How long did it take you to complete it?

the Guy who is doing my nvq did my last exam and he seems like a bit of a stickler for the rules might be a dick so just want to make sure i get boxed off quick any help is great

The NVQ is endorsed by an awarding body. The awarding body use units to achieve this. The units have assessment criteria that you must achieve, carry out or prove to show you are competent. The units are the key to compiling evidence. Your assessors job is to tell you this and guide you along the way, checking your progress and competence to ensure you are on track.

Portfolios usually consist of:
1. Evidence that hits the mandatory elements, usually ways you are working safely and efficively and using and communicating technical info.
2. Job evidence consisting of planning, methods, photos, test results. It's the meat of the job/s.
3. Reviewing and improving: conclusions of work done and how you overcame problems, things you would do differently next time.

Every page of evidence needs a page number and then has to be referenced to the unit criteria.

4 months is tight like.

cheers guys,

4 months is really tight but idont really have a choice thats all i have left for the nvq and imlucky to get that the last day to register was the 31st and my 2330level 2 was supposed to finish this year lucky i finishes early i start level 3 in sept so this is going to be really hard but i workwith some good guys and they said they will helpme with what they can be it work or foreigners.

The example questions are great m8 i will print them off and use them to ensure im writing my evidence up correctly.

I heard that if i put some conduit and singles up in a garage and take pics of it i could class it as comercial is this true??

At work we really only do domestic repairs and rewires so could do with some hints if any one has any or has any upcoming work they would like me to help them with. i am will to supply you with your chippy dinner lol oh and free labour or brew making lol

any probs ask for an extension, they will give you one. Like the other posts its really no good just doing any ele jobs you have to match your work to the PCs. Ask your assessor for guidance and a completed portfolio for an example, you could have mine but as soon as the cert hit the floor it hit the bin, its the biggest load of crap I've ever had to do. But thats my experience. Good luck. Oh if you can get a H&S qualification you can get a lot of the PCs APLed, just a thought.

, you could have mine but as soon as the cert hit the floor it hit the bin, its the biggest load of crap I've ever had to do. But thats my experience. Good luck. Oh if you can get a H&S qualification you can get a lot of the PCs APLed, just a thought.[/quote]

what are pcs and apled??

The nvq qualification ends in sept thats why im rushing to get it done.

Why did you bin your cert did you not need it or was it just not worth doing?

Again if anyone has got any work coming up that they would like me to help with for the experience that would be great

PC = Performance criteria APL = Accreditation of Prior Learning' you will also have KE which used to be called Knowledge Evidence. I'm not sure if this is just call knowledge now. You should have been inducted and all of this explained to you in detail. I used to be an assessor and internal verifier the old D31/32 D33 and also have the D36 but that was a life time ago and all the unit have changed to A units I belive. But if you dont have a basic understanding of how to meet the PCs or indeed what they are how can you gain the evidence??? this is not your fault but the college with whom you have enrolled. If you look at your awarding body folder that you were given at the start you will see that each unit has its own set of PCs and by looking at the PCs you can then find the evidence that proves you've conducted that task. By linking your evidence to the PCs and then ticking them off you should start building your portfolio with the relevant evidence. NVQs can be simple when you understand what is required and you get the RELEVANT evidence, if not you'll put a lot of hard work in and it will get rejected my friend. Get more guidance and input before you start. I did'nt bid the cert just the portfolio, I was told to do the Level 3 as my C&G Part 1 & 2 were 'OLD' yeah right. Anyway you can still ask the Awarding body for an extention, trust me they will give you one. Have you starting the portfoilo? if not you've some hard work my friend. Oh have you your level 2 or any other ele qualification?

Thanks itsshocking..

Got my portfolio today and he talked me through some of it but he left some of the contents at home he had a chat with my manager who ok me to do the course so im off and running he is going to come and see me at a job to see some ppe and h&s for the first part of the portfolio.

he told me that hes not going to be lenient in anyway and he "will not submit my portfolio if its not done right" lol great first meet.

Any way i suppose i will have a good idea of whats in store for me when the visit is done he doesn't seem to be in any rush to get started and he thinks it should be done b4 july so ill just have to see if i've chucked my 600 in the bin lol

Again if anyone would like to help me out with any more info OR work that would be great.
I know people are not jumping to help me become a spark in there area for fear of losing work to me but that will not be happening being self employed is not the way that im planning to got so work you have or may get is safe Im already employed.

Hi again, I'm just off in the bath so sorry for the spelling, no time to check. I don't think that anyone would for a second not help you due to loosing work, it's just so complex letting someone come and work for you for a few days here and there (be that free or otherwise) and the money in the jobs is just not there to stop and explain etc. Other issue is most sparks have not gone the NVQ route. Now back on to the NVQ, did you get witness testimonies explained to you???? If you can get someone to write a statement for you stating what you did, how you did it, why you did it that why and that the outcome was as expected etc etc you can then cross ref loads of PCs to that one piece of evidence. I'll explain, but please remember this is brief example: OK design: why did you design that circuit/installation the way you did? state what section of 7671 you got your info from, state overload current/protection/means of earthing etc etc, now H&S, did you see a Risk assessment or even better did you create one?? add to portfolio also, what safety precautions did you take to ensure the installation was isolated and what measures did you take to prevent unauthorized/premature powering of the system/installation: eg signage, removing incoming/supply fuse etc, now most important, how do you know you want come into contact with asbestos and what would you do if you did??? how and why did you use that method to conduct the work?? how did you test your work/or someone else tested it after you. Phew it just goes on and on but do you get the picture? you then match the evidence you have against the PCs etc and hey look how many you've crossed out. Your assessor sound's like a right one, forgets items but tells you hes not going to be lenient in anyway and he "will not submit my portfolio if its not done right" if you get 'stuck on certain pcs etc give me pm and I'll see if i can help. Also take pics of you conducting work and cross ref, goes a long way. Sorry if certain sections dont flow but must go now.

cheers its shocking some good stuff there. bin reading through it today and i have asked a few people what they think and it seems the gut who is doing my nvq is being a bit silly. he wants to come out on at leasts 4 or 5 visits and he wants to cover idust and agricultural and he will give me the dates that he wants to come out but we don't do them every day domestic is our bread and butter so i will have to have a chat with him about that..

i've had a sneaky look at someone elses portfolio and i looks as if you could take these pics anywhere at any time in allot of pics the kid was stood pointing at a consumer unit or a safe isolation prod or a piece or paper.

think i may have stressed about it being short on time but you say i could get an extension but isn't the nvq finishing in sept or do i have that all wrong??
i had to sign up for it b4 the 31st or i couldn't do it and the college manager said it has to be completed b4 sept or it wouldn't be submitted as its finished then!!
do you know anything about this?

I see what you mean about people not having time for me i have asked on here a few times and the general reply i get can be very negative, its a shame when you just want to get on and learn a trade lol wish i tried harder at school !0)

Im not to bothered about the nvq guy he doesn't scare me if he wants to be an arse i will just hammer him with evidence piles and piles of it he will soon get board lol.... i hope lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back