Oak - bring out grain / clean after sanding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a nice oak fire surround and started to sand off a nasty orange varnish which is leaving a lovely grain underneath. Gives me 2 questions tho....

1) what should I use to rub the bare wood down to clean off the dust, dirt etc? Seen various folk claim rubbing alcohol, white spirit, acetone etc so would appreciate the lowdown.

2) Probably going to use an oil which will add a bit of colour and bring out the natural patterns so what are the choices for a finish that is tough enough for every day life (ie kids) and a not too shiny?

Sponsored Links
Turpentine, rubbing alcohol or methylated spirits are all fine. Dunno about acetone -sounds aggressive to me.

Tung oil is probably what you want, but Danish oil is also an option. Don't bother with linseed oil, before you ask.

do tung or Danish add much colour depth to bare oak, help pick out the striping, fine dark lines etc?

do tung or Danish add much colour depth to bare oak, help pick out the striping, fine dark lines etc?
Yes, tung oil especially. Liberon finishing oil is also good and a bit more user friendly (i.e. dries quicker!)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OK, so after several coats of tung oil the thing is looking good, albeit a very matt finish. I am looking for something with a slightly more satin sheen. Are there any oils which can go over the top of what I have to give me the finish I am looking for?

This question also applies to a set of gplan tables which now look nice in colour, but a bit too matt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back