Is it ok to use white spirit to remove sanding dust (oak)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got some oak which I am finishing over the next few days.... After sanding, I have been using a dusting brush and a dry cloth to remove the dust. But I'm starting to fear that may not be enough....

I've brought Henry into the mix and have now started the clean up using Henry and a brush attachment. So after Henry, I then go with the dry cloth and dusting brush.

Should I finish off with a once over using white spirit? Is this effective? And can it cause damage to the oak?

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
have always used white spirit, to clean the dust, but that is usualy on soft wood, wouldnt have though any different

Hi all

Got some oak which I am finishing over the next few days.... After sanding, I have been using a dusting brush and a dry cloth to remove the dust. But I'm starting to fear that may not be enough....

I've brought Henry into the mix and have now started the clean up using Henry and a brush attachment. So after Henry, I then go with the dry cloth and dusting brush.

Should I finish off with a once over using white spirit? Is this effective? And can it cause damage to the oak?

Many thanks

Max

It would depend on what your finishing with

Sponsored Links
I would say that'll be OK but it looks a bit too well packaged up I suspect a bit of smoke and mirrors going on here what ever floats your boat man

I'm no expert, but it has received some great reviews, and that's for use on floors.... If people are saying it performs well on floor and protects them well, then I'm hoping it will be more than fine on doors.

I also cannot imagine how they would have stayed in business if the product always fails... Surely there would be horror stories all over the place of people spending £????? on their nice oak flooring only to have it ruined because the Monocoat did not protect the wood. What do you think?

I'm no expert, but it has received some great reviews, and that's for use on floors.... If people are saying it performs well on floor and protects them well, then I'm hoping it will be more than fine on doors.

I also cannot imagine how they would have stayed in business if the product always fails... Surely there would be horror stories all over the place of people spending £????? on their nice oak flooring only to have it ruined because the Monocoat did not protect the wood. What do you think?

No its not a case of it failing ,it just looks expensively packaged, thats the smoke and mirrors,

No its not a case of it failing ,it just looks expensively packaged, thats the smoke and mirrors,

Ahh - I see. Thanks for clarifying. But just to make things even clearer then, are you saying you think the product will be fine and will be effective but is over priced? If you could confirm whether that is what you are saying, or whether you are saying something different, that would be most helpful.

If it is just the costing that you are referring to, it would be interesting to hear from you (or anyone else) as to what you think a cheaper alternative is.

Many thanks

Max

Iv'e found most of the oil's to be very good, Foxhole has one he swears by I cant remember the name of

I was after a product which changed the original colour of the wood as little as possible, which is one of the reasons I went for the Monocoat.

Still interested to hear whether your only gripe with the product is the price....

Many thanks

Max

I was after a product which changed the original colour of the wood as little as possible, which is one of the reasons I went for the Monocoat.

Still interested to hear whether your only gripe with the product is the price....

Many thanks

Max

The colour will change, put a bit of spit on the wood thats what it will look like

The colour will change, put a bit of spit on the wood thats what it will look like

Hi again

Yeah, I did try this and did not like the colour they came up. Hence why I went for something which altered the colour a lot less....

Still interested to hear whether your only gripe with the Monocoat is the price....

Many thanks

Max

Hi again

Yeah, I did try this and did not like the colour they came up. Hence why I went for something which altered the colour a lot less....

Still interested to hear whether your only gripe with the Monocoat is the price....

Many thanks

Max

To be honest I havent looked at the spec or price most oil finishes are a combination of oil, wax and dryers Iv'e just been round the block a few time ,in the end you'll go with what your happy with regardless of cost or spec

Hi again

Many thanks

Max

To be honest I havent looked at the spec or price most oil finishes are a combination of oil, wax and dryers Iv'e just been round the block a few time ,in the end you'll go with what your happy with regardless of cost or spec

I'd agree with what Harbourwoodwork said here. I've tried lots of oil type finishes over the years, and they all darken the wood to a greater or lesser degree. Some time after the finish has been applied they will all darken somewhat more.
You can wipe the wood with white spirit for those oil based finishes.

If you don't want to darken the wood then probably the easiest is an acrylic sanding sealer, followed by a very light de-nibbing and then dusting, followed by an acrylic varnish.
You can use two pack finish as well. Rustins do one for DIY use.
You wouldn't use white spirit with either acrylic or two pack.

Wood finishing is an art in itself. I used to mostly use an oiled finish for indoor furniture work, and found it very satisfactory. Apart from anything else it doesn't need special gear or a dedicated space to apply it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back