Oak Door And Frame Clean Up and Finish Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I'm after some restore and finishing advice for an external oak door and frame please. Around 3 years I had a bespoke solid oak front door made and installed. The manufacturer recommended the Dulux naked wood system which I applied before the door was installed. At the same time I had the old oak door frame (over 30 years old plus) partially dressed in oak as well. The wife and I were keen to keep everything unpainted and au natural looking with no colours, stains or varnishes.

With me so far?.....Present day and I'm about to get out house render totally repainted and I need to freshen up the door and frame so I'll break my questions down relating to each part: Pictures are attached:

A) FRONT DOOR
I didn't find the Dulux system particularly effective as it seemed to be tacky for ages and the door looked tired last year. This year I intend to strip it and reseal it without leaving obvious sanding marks or discolouration stains. The weather bar has also turned grey.
Questions:
1. Do I use white spirit and wire wool (if so what grade) to strip the door exterior or do I use something else? Will this get rid of the grey discolouration?
2. What would you recommend as a replacement sealant? I'm keen to avoid polyurethane/ varnish, etc.

B) FRAME
As I mentioned I had a new piece of oak dressing over the existing decades old frame for the reveals but you can still see the old frame as you look at the frame from the front. In the last couple of years we've noticed the discoloration and some slight vertical splitting in the wood getting worse and was wondering how best to deal with it. A slightly blurred picture is included. Again, we are keen to avoid painting. With a bright new render surface wall on one side of it, and the new frame dressing on the other, the old frame really will stick out like a sore thumb.
Questions:
1. What shall I clean the frame with and what would you recommend as a finish to mask some of the blemishes and cracks

Any advice is gratefully received.

Many thanks

Stepney

Sponsored Links
What foxhole says is correct, you have to expect oak to go grey (often referred to as "silver") You see it on the doors and windows of lots of older type buildings, and oak garden furniture etc. If you varnish or oil then what happens is the parts that get damp through the varnish go grey anyway. It's inevitable.

I haven't heard of anything that is the complete answer to this. Whatever you use, whether it's oil or varnish of some sort, you will have to re-treat fairly often

Don't use wire wool with oak, particularly if it's outside. it will leave particles of steel which will turn the wood blue when it gets wet. Use something like Scotchbrite instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back