oak chopping board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Some of you may have seen a thread of mine from a couple of months age where I stripped out the downstairs floor and laid oak boards. The boards are 22mm thick.

I have some offcuts that I’m slowly using up. I’ve a couple of wide offcuts and was going to cut one nice and square, route the edges and use it as a chopping board in the kitchen as my current one is split.

When you buy an oak chopping board from a shop it appears to just be untreated oak. Can I just use the oak as it is without it harboring all sorts of nasties, or will I have to treat it?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
wood by its nature has a natural disinfectans effect
you still need to wash clean but do not soak

if your timber is finnished sand the surface clean
glue boards on top off each other at right angles to help prevent cupping and warping with waterproof glue

remember steel or cast iron and wet oak = black marks /weeping on the wood as the tannin in the oak acts with the metal

you can lay wet metal on the oak for a few mins but wipe dry within a few mins
hot pans for example

Sponsored Links
i would just go for nowt at all and live with the carricter that develops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back