Oak fence panels - drilling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago my builder fitted oak fence panels and concrete spurs in a section that was prone to waterlogging and wind damage. These have lasted well, not like some of the panels which are showing their age. I removed one and thought that it would take 10 minutes to fit a new one. The old panel was nailed in so I dutifully prised out the old nails and bought 4 panel clips from B&Q. I now need to screw these into the posts. I can't find a drill bit that will drill into the oak. I got a special wood-drill one and this won't really work. I've tried the hammer setting (not recommended!!) and all the speeds on my drill. Any specific suggestions? I suppose nails might work but I want to do a proper job.

Sponsored Links
Do you have an impact driver? Are you using cutting wood screw? Have you tried with a small bit and working up? Oak is not particularly tough to drill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back