oak flooring quandry!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am umming and ahhing about putting tongue and grooved oak flooring in my dining room "real oak, not being a great laminate fan and all" However, I am pondering on the fixing method and would appreciate some direction, the problem is that the finsihed floor is screed. I cannot see a way that I will be able to stop the floor from moving despite having the intention of glueing each tongue and groove together. In my minds eye "because the room is 30 square metres" I can see the floor being bouncy in places, once in place. Frankly I want it to go down and stay down, any suggestions would be marvellous, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Would floating be conceivable if not what glue would you recommend, thank you.

ask this 'Q' in the 'floors , stairs and lofts' section and i'm sure mattysupra or WoodYouLike will answer it for you. ;)

Sponsored Links
you wont be able to stop the wood moving unless your on about the bounce when you walk on it. To loose the bounce and make it more solid sounding you would have to glue to the subfloor. There are plenty of adhesives out there but hard to source if your the general public. You can try and get hold of f-ball (goggle them) or maybe get in touch with wood you like?? maybe?? If after f-ball glue you need to be looking at - b92, b93 or b95. Best to check with them as not adhesive i normally use.

chirpychipy hi there.

It all depends on two things really: the quality of your boards (i.e. straight boards etc) and the levelness of your underfloor.
Wood works, no matter how you install it. The wood will expand when the air-humidity increases and shrink when the air-humidity is low. In normal circumstance you will not notice that the floor is moving, as long as you leave sufficient expansion gaps around (and thick enough skirting boards or flat beading to cover that gap).

Bouncing will only happen when your underfloor isn't level or when your boards are of the cheaper quality (i.e. rubbish ;)). There's nothing wrong with installing the boards floating, as long as you glue all T&G's correctly.
After you have installed the floor the weight of the wood itself and the furniture on it will prevent 'sliding' - that hardly happens.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your information, your website is very useful, could I just ask a couple more questions before I proceed. Having lifted the carpet I have found floor tiles "plastic" which are well and truly stuck down, having put a level on various places on the floor I have found the floor to be surprisingly very level indeed. Now I am wondering " because I intend to use the floating floor method" would it really be neccesary to pull all the tiles up, thus risk damaging the screed underneath? Secondly, the concrete/screed is sound and has been down for a number of years this coupled with tiles is there a need for me to put a DPM down before laying?obviously I intend to use an underlayment and probably the one specified on your website. I intend to get the oak flooring from B&Q at £52.25 covering 1.584 sqmtrs. So please take this as your key to sell me something better, I am a tradesman myself and generally avoid places such as the one mentioned. As always I am enternally greatful to those of you that help to make my life easier, by helping me keep the missus happy! :D

Hi chirpychirpychipchip (now I've got that song in my head all day !)

You can leave the tiles where they are and use a combi-underlayment in all the areas. The DPM of the combi will prevent any 'sweating' from the tiles getting in the wood.
As for B&Q products: you want me to compete on price or quality? Our quality comes with free advice as long as you need it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back