Oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am laying oak wood flooring in my flat and I was wondering what was the best type of underlay to use and whether I need to place a DPM on the concrete floor. I am on the 7th floor of my block. I have tried to research this but I am even more confused now then when I started.
Many thanks for any help
B.

Sponsored Links
Use Barrier or Timbermate Duratex - the last one will give you better sound-insulation.
Other options would be Timbermate Excel or Barrier Plus, both include a DPM, but in your case your can either do with or without DPM

Is that solid Oak, engineered or just Oak effect?
Why would that make a difference in using underlay with or without DPM if the products can be installed floating - not all solid boards can be installed this way I agree

Sponsored Links
Have you checked your lease/rental contract to see if coverings other than carpet are acceptable ?

Noise created by wood floors can give rise to problems with neighbours if it should be carpet.

Is that solid Oak, engineered or just Oak effect?
Why would that make a difference in using underlay with or without DPM if the products can be installed floating - not all solid boards can be installed this way I agree
Just prefer to know what OP question is before I answer.Vague questions tend to get vague answers.

OP question is about having to use an underlayment with or without DPM on a concrete floor 7 flights up, clear as water I think

WoodYouLike";p="1940515 said:
OP question is about having to use an underlayment with or without DPM on a concrete floor 7 flights up, clear as water I think[/quote
Your reply was for solid wood? engineered,? laminate? all three,?very expensive and pointless to use timbermate acoustic underlay on concrete floor where sound transmission is very low, your reply is as ambiguous as the question in my opinion.

Concrete floor 7 flights up - footfall sound transfer to down stairs neighbours = Timbermate for extra sound-insulation.

Nothing wrong with the answer as far as I can see. Mountainwalker is right: have you checked with the regulations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back