Oak kitchen worktops in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any thoughts on using Oak kitchen worktops in a bathroom? I need to make a shelf for the wash basin and there is a narrow shelf that runs around 2 walls approx 250mm wide. was thinking of using Oak for this too. ta

Sponsored Links
Will need a good oil (osmo) and any spillage would need removing immediately or it will deteriorate quickly.

I had an oak counter top in my bathroom survived fine for about 15 years coated top and bottom with junkers rustic oil

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info - would something like a polyurethane varnish work??

No, polyurethane doesn't like getting wet; if you're using varnish, then yacht is better.

You can use osmo oil (2 coats are normally sufficient) or Teak oil (4 or 5 at least) which will darken the wortop nicely, but you need to redo it evey 6 months. As bathrooms are high moisture areas, you need to oil/varnish every surface, and not just the ones that you see. And ideally, you'll use slotted angle brackets to fix the worktop to the base unti (with stainless steel screws) to allow for expansion across the grain.

This is a good site for oak worktop advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back