Oak suitable for Kitchen Floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering solid oak for the kitchen floor and have seen the glossy kitchen brochures where oak has been used, but what potential problems should I consider?

The kitchen will have all the usual wet appliances ie dishwasher and washing machine so there is aleays the risk of water leaks.

Should I panel the floor wall to wall or leave the areas under the cabinets housing the machines bare?

VMT

Sponsored Links
Solid wood floors in areas where there is more moist is a no no (or you should go for an original wood block - herringbone style floor).
Too much moist, specailly with all the appliances there. Go for a wood-engineered floors instead.

We always recommend you install the floor just a bit underneath the plinth of the units, not wall to wall. If in the event of a major leak and the units rest on the floor they have to come out too when replacing the floor - lots of extra hassle!

Thanks - What is an 'engineered floor'? Do you have a suitable link so that I can research it?

DM

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back