oak worktop care

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi-I am about to have a new kitchen installed with oak worktops-Can anybody tell me the best way to look after the wood please?

Sponsored Links
Either tung oil or raw linseed oil, but be careful about the quality, all oil is not the same. If you by cheap you may regret it. Warm the oil to hand hot before you put it on as it will penetrate better.

Just DON'T get talked into using Danish oil or any other finish which dries in a few hours.

as someone who has been talked into using Danish oil, what is the reason for not using it please (dreading the answer but so be it!)

Tung oil, definitely. Just finished off my worktop (Iroko) with it . Looks beautiful! :)

Sponsored Links
stevefg said:
as someone who has been talked into using Danish oil, what is the reason for not using it please (dreading the answer but so be it!)
Nothing wrong with Danish oil but tung oil is far better as it has a slower drying rate therefore penetrate into wood longer.

I understand Danish oil has a faster drying rate as mention by Oilman.

There's nothing to stop you using tung oil on top next time.

As masona pointed Danish oil dries faster. Tung or raw linseed takes weeks to dry completely, no problem as it penetrates further. Danish can go on a little too thick, and dry, and then forms a skin which is not bonded to the wood very well, so as the wood moves, the skin cracks.

I wouldn't use raw linseed oil.
It would never dry but remain greasy.
Boiled linseed oil is the same but dries like danish oil.

Dewy said:
I wouldn't use raw linseed oil.
It would never dry but remain greasy.
Boiled linseed oil is the same but dries like danish oil.

Not wishing to be contradictory, but

1) that's your choice
2) it does dry, and does not remain greasy unless you put it on too thick perhaps, little and often will not give that problem.
3) If boiled linseed oil is the same (which it is not) then it would dry the same which it doesn't, and it is the main ingredient in linseed oil paint, and therefore something like danish oil.

Raw linseed oil definitely dries, it takes a long time to do it.

If you look at many non absorbent surfaces (which don't get washed frequently) under the microscope they are covered in grease......from peoples' skin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back