Obsolete boiler parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help out here. I have Ideal classic se21 ff boiler. It stopped igniting a few days ago. Covered by SSE hydro for repair but the part the eng says it needs is now obsolete.
As they cant source the part they say i need a new boiler. They cancel my contract and walk away with all the payments ive made up till now.
Part is Ideal Gas Manifold Assy Kit
Number 171415
Trying to source myself so i can then get a registered eng to fit.
Also should i get a second opinion before shelling out for new boiler?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for reply.
Just called them they dont have it.
Had an argument with SSE yesterday regarding me finding one and them fitting it.
They only use a certain list of suppliers and wont fit from anywhere else.
Apparently boiler manufacturers only have to make spares for 10 years afrer they stop production of any model.
My boiler is about 11 years old.

Sponsored Links
As what he ^ said.

what has gone wrong with your manifold,its not a part that wears out unless other defects exist. Has it been damaged by a technician exchanging parts around it.

No idea whats wrong with it.
Boiler intermittently not igniting last week then last Friday gave up for good.
When i put the boiler on it powers and it sounds like the fan is running but it wont ignite and there is a faint clicking in the background.
Engineer came out on Saturday. Said it needs a new gas valve.
Then i got a call on Sunday saying part is obsolete, prob looking at a new boiler.
Engineer said 'gas valve' but on phone they are saying 'manifold assy kit'
Boiler now has a sticker on it sayin DANGER.

This is first time an eng has been at the boiler except for service so dont think its been damaged by anyone.

I would suggest you to go for a second opinion.

Always a good idea unless you want a new boiler :?:

edit,Have you asked sse for an explanation on why you now need a manifold,minding them that the technician who opened the boiler and carried out fault finding said you need a gas valve and would order one for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
cant understand why you could need the part they say you do, sounds like the engineer has clicked the wrong part number, great little boilers and definitely worth repairing call SSE and tell them that you are getting Ideal out on a fixed price repair and if they can fix it you will be sending the bill to SSE and they will send what they call an LTE round for a second opinion, make sure you ask to be put through to Customer relations when you call SSE, they are a terrible company to be honest and the quality of a lot of their engineers is extremely poor at best

Have a look at the instructions for your boiler and page 40 part number 10 they are calling a burner manifold, is that what you need ?

Just spoke to SSE questioned why he says gas valve and they say manifold assy kit.
Apparantley to replace the valve you have to remove the manifold meaning you need new seals from the obsolete kit to rebuild safely.
They spoke to the eng and he says he can do it with seals from another seal kit which is available.
Girl says 'we cant promise anything'.
Getting done Friday morning. I will update after that.
Thanks for the replies and the advice.
Forums like these can be invaluable in these situations.

I would put money on it being the pilot solonoid, this can be swapped without removing the gas valve so no seals would be needed

If you are on any kind of benefits including child tax credits its worth just checking to see if Npower or E-on will fit a new boiler free. Cavity Wall and Roof insulation are also offered by them and thats open to pretty much everyone and also free. You also dont need to be their customer.

Seals are readily available but it may need two (one comes in seal pack ) one should come with the gas valve but doesnt always. i done exact same job few months back.
As ian say prob just the solenoid if he thinks its the gas valve

Quick update
Boiler now up and running. Obsolete part number contains the manifold and new seals. Manifold no longer produced but the seals are still readily available. As someone said earlier.
The only thing out of the obsolete pack required was the 1 seal for in between the gas v/v and manifold.
So if it wasnt for Diynot and a bit of perseverence i would be looking at a new boiler and a hefty bill for someone elses incompetence.
Thanks again for all replies and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back