Obsolete electrical fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you please help me find some of the bayonet fittings to convert a light fitting into a flex cable outlet? Probably bakelite, probably dangerous, probably banned by health and safety.....but VERY useful at Christmas. I need six. Anyone know where I can start lookin?

Thank's Colin.

Sponsored Links
Probably bakelite, probably dangerous, probably banned by health and safety......

You are correct in every detail.
They are no longer made for the reasons you have stated.
Have some thought for your safety and that of others.

I really hope that no responsible person on this forum helps you find any.

Probably bakelite, probably dangerous, probably banned by health and safety......

You are correct in every detail.
They are no longer made for the reasons you have stated.
Have some thought for your safety and that of others.

I really hope that no responsible person on this forum helps you find any.

Rather pompous but thank you anyway. I only want them for fairy lights! :D

I got last one from Woolworths still use it with ELI meter to test lamp fittings.

Sure I saw them for sale in Shim-shammi-po in Al-po street in Hong Kong may have spelling wrong but even that was before it was China.

Sponsored Links

I am only trying impress the dangerous nature of these things.

They may "only be for fairy lights" but the lethal 230volts going to your fairy light out of the bayonet light holder is the same lethal 230 volts that powers your cooker.

Both have and do kill.

Have a merry and safe Christmas!

I am only trying impress the dangerous nature of these things.

They may "only be for fairy lights" but the lethal 230volts going to your fairy light out of the bayonet light holder is the same lethal 230 volts that powers your cooker.

Both have and do kill.

Have a merry and safe Christmas!

I may be a bit slow but what is the difference between using one of the bayonet/flex adaptors and a 13amp plug? Both transmit 230volts in exactly the same way.

Ho-Humm!

YEH but with a plug at least i hope you would fit a 3a fuse and give the wire some protection if not the local humans.

YEH but with a plug at least i hope you would fit a 3a fuse and give the wire some protection if not the local humans.

Gordelpuz!!

Circuits usually trip now before even the fuse blows.

I can see somebody sending the 'boys' around, just 'cos we want some bloomin' fairy lights!

Sheeezzz!!

I actually have at least two of these from my grandfather but I agree they are really not ideal and haven't thought of any good reason to ever require them! The test idea good but as I am not an electrician it ain't for me...

@ poster above you are referring to RCD protection I think and this is normally NOT offered on a lighting circuit.

hehe still might even have some round pin lighting plugs somewhere are these still ok?

@ poster above you are referring to RCD protection I think and this is normally NOT offered on a lighting circuit.

Certainly is under the new 2008 wiring regs but most houses aren't up to date.

Major issues with the bayonet adaptors:

• The cable coming from them can have no earth connector
    There's no way of determining the live from the neutral as the bayonet plug can go in either way round (a switch in the lead must go in the live conductor)
    There's no strain relief for the cable so its easy to pull a wire out
    There's trailing wires coming out of your ceiling and draping all over the floor
    People plug them in to bathroom light fittings thus bypassing all of the safety things that have been put into electrical installations in bathrooms over the last 50 years. I remember that's how my grandad used to plug in his electric shaver. Bare feet, wet hands, basin full of water and an unearthed metal shaver in his hand. Everybody did it then though...
    Lastly, you can't buy them any more. not even on fleabay.

If I may chip in, many new "holiday seasonal luminaires" run off wall-warts (plugtop transformers). These CANNOT be used with a different plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back