ocean alpha 240e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need some help please as no plumber's can seem to work out what's wrong.. the boiler over the few days has developed a tendancy to switch on and off as it please's.. Also i noticed that when hot water reaches the tap it knocks off?

please help as its costing alot of money to call plumbers out but the problem is not resloved.

Thnaks in advance

Sponsored Links
Not much a description, but, you may have a sticking diverter valve.
I'm assuming the boiler fires when there is no demand, it won't run for long because the thermostat will shut it off as the heat won't go anywhere.
When you say boiler knocks off, do you mean it goes to lock-out and has to be reset or just shuts off on the boiler stat then comes back on.

boiler shuts off and then fire's up again keeps doing that all the time..

Sponsored Links
hot water is fine.. the only problem is its knocks the boiler on and off evry 10 sec's or so.. Could it possibly be the DHW temp sensor??

Thnks[/quote]

How can the hot water be fine if the boiler cuts in and out every few seconds?

What i mean my friend is hot water is fine when the boiler fires up the issue is the boiler switchin on and off constantly weather that be heating or hot water.

Not a plumber so excuse me if i'm not able to write all info

thnks

Check the Air Pressure Switch on the Combustion side, i have found 5 or 6 of these boilers where the APS is worn giving the fault that you describe ;)

what happens if you run the bath hot tap for 5 minutes?

it just constantly keeps coming on off on off..

Will check the aps on the combustion side. thnks

Looking at a previous fault which someone had (same as mine) they changed the DHW temp sensor and it did the job, Could that not be the same case for me?

many Thanks

B****y hard to tell when i'n on the end of a Keyboard
You Really should get a REgistered Gas Engineer to take a look, as this would save you time & money in the long run ;)

so as twgas already stated to your boiler is not fine ;)

could be a scaled dhw heat ex as kevplumb has said :idea:

could be thermistors,burner pressures, aps, whole host of things really

so as twgas already stated to your boiler is not fine ;)

could be a scaled dhw heat ex as kevplumb has said :idea:

could be thermistors,burner pressures, aps, whole host of things really

you say it could be scaled DHW heat Ex but when the boiler fires up on how water it heats up to full temp and then goes off (i kp coming back to this but is that problem not ascociated with a temp sensor?)

Thermistor and burner pressure's and aps were checked and apparently were fine. and he was a Gas Safe Engineer

Many Thanks

temp sensor = thermistor ;)

but as you have said your RGI has checked them all out

when it heats the hot water (as you well know) it shouldnt go hot/cold/hot/cold

it could be many things but i would be looking at the dhw plate hex

whats your temp diff on flow/return

take it your RGI wrote down all the things he has checked

max BP
min BP
thermistor resistance in k/ohms at cold and at hot

temp sensor = thermistor ;)

but as you have said your RGI has checked them all out

when it heats the hot water (as you well know) it shouldnt go hot/cold/hot/cold

it could be many things but i would be looking at the dhw plate hex

whats your temp diff on flow/return

take it your RGI wrote down all the things he has checked

max BP
min BP
thermistor resistance in k/ohms at cold and at hot

Thermistor = temp sensor thanks for that.. The one thing he didn't mention was the DHW heat ex which i will mention to him, Dont knw temp diff sorry not that clued up on them, I was working at the time he jus rang to say he checked them parts but can't seem to find the fault.

Thnks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back