Odd 4 inchs of concrete/cement on first floor external wall

ToastyToes, good evening again.

OK, IMO the gable tie rods unless they are going right the way across the property to be tied externally at the other side are not installed correctly?

Why? because, the rational is that the unsupported very high thin solid wall is getting no benefit of support from the joists. the threaded rod has been pushed through, the object is to have these rods bore themselves into and through the joist so that the [best called] monococque system of joists and flooring attached, plus noggins or strutting will withstand the gable bulging away from the house, to simply bore holes and push in some threaded bar is [bluntly] useless, the wall is not being restrained in any way and will continue to bulge out. But if a threaded bar had been bored into and through several joists then the combined stability of several joists + flooring + noggins + strutting can and at times does halt the outward movement of the wall.

A more [shall I call it "modern"] system can be found if you have a look @ Helifix web site, there system is small high tensile bars which are bored into several joists, worth a look??

Difficult to see but?? because it appears the concrete is adhering to the joist, there appears to be a gap between the concrete and the brickwork?? am I correct?? if so then wall could? I stress Could still be moving outwards. This outward movement may have ceased? but the only way to check is to instruct a vertical level [bulge] monitoring exercise [not cheap]

Did your Building Surveyor mention any of the above??

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your detailed response. The last 2 joists the rod goes through have washers and nuts to 'hold' the rod to the joists, essentially tying it in. I was going to add another one or two rods in the same fashion along the wall. Regardless if it is still moving or not, £200 for the metal will give me some reassurance.

Regarding the Helifix ties, are you referring to these? https://www.helifix.co.uk/products/remedial-products/bowtie/

I will look into the vertical level monitoring you spoke about.

A loft conversion was added to the property some 20 years ago, around the same time the wall tie rod was installed. I'm confident the weight of the conversion caused the bulge.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

The last 2 joists having bolts and washers is an assist, but in the grand scheme of things [in a perfect world] all joists should have a thick plate washer and bolts on each side of the joist, that way the maximum spread of the load from the gable wall will be distributed over a very large area.

OK not easy to achieve, in effect you need several people to place the washers on each side of the joist as the rod is threaded in and, the slow part to make sure the bolts are screwed out of the way until they are cracked up tight against the washers, two Washers per joist, one each side, a minimum of 10. mm thick, 10.mm less than the depth of the joist, as a square plate. [does that make sense?]

As for the Helifix Bow ties, short answer is yes!

If there has in recent history a load applied from the loft conversion then that could possibly [Probably] be causing the issues you have here, the added load will accentuate the bulging effect, it is likened to taking a playing card and placing the short edge on a table, then simply press a finger on top and press a bulge has to happen.

Worst case scenario is a situation where there is a stair well on the external gable wall, you simply cannot fit anything at all over the gap of the stair well.

As an aside, it is not just one brick thick brick walls to have these issues, there are a load of masonry walls up here generally 600.mm + thick that have similar issues, some owners in Tenement flats are looking at costs of £ £ £ £ £ 30 / 50 K each flat to try to rectify

Ken

Are you a fisherman?

The last 2 joists having bolts and washers is an assist, but in the grand scheme of things [in a perfect world] all joists should have a thick plate washer and bolts on each side of the joist, that way the maximum spread of the load from the gable wall will be distributed over a very large area.

OK not easy to achieve, in effect you need several people to place the washers on each side of the joist as the rod is threaded in and, the slow part to make sure the bolts are screwed out of the way until they are cracked up tight against the washers, two Washers per joist, one each side, a minimum of 10. mm thick, 10.mm less than the depth of the joist, as a square plate. [does that make sense?]

As for the Helifix Bow ties, short answer is yes!

If there has in recent history a load applied from the loft conversion then that could possibly [Probably] be causing the issues you have here, the added load will accentuate the bulging effect, it is likened to taking a playing card and placing the short edge on a table, then simply press a finger on top and press a bulge has to happen.

Worst case scenario is a situation where there is a stair well on the external gable wall, you simply cannot fit anything at all over the gap of the stair well.

As an aside, it is not just one brick thick brick walls to have these issues, there are a load of masonry walls up here generally 600.mm + thick that have similar issues, some owners in Tenement flats are looking at costs of £ £ £ £ £ 30 / 50 K each flat to try to rectify

Ken

@KenGMac Attached is a photo of the rod in full. All the noggings and tripled joists have been installed by me for various reasons. Regarding the washers/nuts on each side of the joist, I can image the amount of time to thread them as you pass each joist! Makes sense and i will be doing so on the additional wall ties. Thank you.
20181006_094206158_iOS.jpg

@^woody^ @Nige F @tomfe 4" attached

20181006_094323537_iOS.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back