Odd lighting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I friend just moved into a new place and noticed the toilet light was on (ever so slightly) even when the light was off. Turned on it would be bright as normal, turned off it would be ever so faintly on.

I had a look and took the attached photo.

I'm not an electrician so not 100% sure so thought I would ask here - But is that an earth going into switched live? I assume that is the issue but don't want to touch anything and would like to just call her landlord to give him a drilling if it is wired incorrectly.

I assume the earth should be terminated together with a wago connector? The cover is metal but I can't see anywhere to terminate earth to it. It looks so old, could it pre-date that kind of thing? Should the whole thing just be replaced?!

Attachments

• PXL_20220829_112433110.jpg
    PXL_20220829_112433110.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
Looks to me like 3 earths sleeved together into earth terminal. Yellow from the red, yellow, blue goes into the switched live of the rose.

I friend just moved into a new place and noticed the toilet light was on (ever so slightly) even when the light was off. Turned on it would be bright as normal, turned off it would be ever so faintly on.
That happens with LED lights.
It can be stopped with a capacitor if you are bothered.

But is that an earth going into switched live?
Don't think so. It is yellow, isn't it? Not green and yellow.

I assume the earth should be terminated together with a wago connector?
Why? All the earth wires are in the rose connector earth terminal.

The cover is metal but I can't see anywhere to terminate earth to it. It looks so old, could it pre-date that kind of thing? Should the whole thing just be replaced?!
The connector block middle connector should be connected to a metal tab on the light if required.

Probably a small current passing between the extractor fan permanent line and switched line causing the LED lamp to glow slightly when off.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
That would appear not to be the case as the lead from the light is clearly not double insulated.

Wagos are not the only kind of connectors as can be seen from this light.

That would appear not to be the case as the lead from the light is clearly not double insulated.

Wagos are not the only kind of connectors as can be seen from this light.

Given that the connector block appears to be attached to the metal part of the fitting, isn't it likely that it is earthed via a metal lug that enters the other side of the earth part of the connector block?

Thanks all. Yeah I've just noticed there is a earth metal lug behind that connector.

So long story short, everything looks fine? The light being slightly on when it's off is probably a good thing anyway, call it a night light feature.

Edit: what is that yellow wire, if not earth? And why is it yellow?

Old three core cable is Red, Yellow and Blue - the Yellow is just another wire; they do not know what colour they are.

Green and Yellow is the colour for earth wires.

Edit: what is that yellow wire, if not earth? And why is it yellow?
Ummm. It’s a wire that is a yellow colour. Wires go not know what colour they are, and there are no standards to say that a yellow wire MUST be used for a particular use. We need to uncover the function of the wire.
At a quick glance, as the yellow is connected to the switched live of the light, I would surmise that it is the switched live to the fan. I guess you have a fan?

Ummm. It’s a wire that is a yellow colour. Wires go not know what colour they are, and there are no standards to say that a yellow wire MUST be used for a particular use. We need to uncover the function of the wire.
At a quick glance, as the yellow is connected to the switched live of the light, I would surmise that it is the switched live to the fan. I guess you have a fan?
Yep! Must be that then, cheers.

That looks to be a perfectly standard end of line - loop at rose - fitting - with extractor fan.

The faint glow is a fact of life with low power devices like LED luminairs.

There is no sensible cure the situation although things can be done or devices can be fitted to disguise the effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back