Odd lighting wiring

Sponsored Links
Often changing the LED lamp for another make will sort this issue.
Indeed so.
DISCLAIMER ... Better brands tend to have less of an issue, but are by no means perfect.
I'm not so sure about that - it seems to be more a matter of 'different' than of 'better' or 'worse'. I've certainly known of cases in which people have resolved such an issue by replacing expensive 'better' LED lamps with cheap 'worse' ones :)

Kind Regards, John

Well I'm still here and the fan is on the whole time even when the lights off. It's not a timer fan so only has L and N.

So does that mean the cables connected to the wrong part of the connectors in the light fitting?

Well I'm still here and the fan is on the whole time even when the lights off. It's not a timer fan so only has L and N.

So does that mean the cables connected to the wrong part of the connectors in the light fitting?
I would suggest that someone has replaced the fan with a non-timer one and connected the permanent live (red) to the fan instead of the switched live (yellow)

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that someone has replaced the fan with a non-timer one and connected the permanent live (red) to the fan instead of the switched live (yellow)
Cheers I switched those two wires in the fan unit and now it's only on when the lights on.

Cheers I switched those two wires in the fan unit and now it's only on when the lights on.
I'd suggest leaving the yellow where it was as the standard way of using a timer fan without the timer is to link 'L'& 'T' together.

Last edited:
First I have to make an apology, I mistakenly understood the changes had been made in the rose. Therefore my advice:
I'd suggest leaving the yellow where it was as the standard way of using a timer fan without the timer is to link 'L'& 'T' together.
was was based around changes made external to the fan

It's not a timer fan so only has L and N..
However we got
which implies the yellow was terminated somewhere.

Last edited:
However we got .... which implies the yellow was terminated somewhere.
Indeed. As EFLI TimboTwo said, it's presumably the case that there had previously been a timer fan there (or else someone was catering for the possibility that there might be in the future), such that the cable had both L and S/L feeds. Were one of those two possibilities not operative, it presumably would not have been a 3-core cable.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Error of mistaken identity corrected.

Last edited:
regardless of who else said what, Soong appears to have given conflicting information.

The fact that I've known fans which have had their guts swapped as it's sometimes easier than changing the whole unit and the possible result is the labling may be incorrect.
Case in point; I currently have a Manrose timer fan in use blowing chilled air into a transmitter rack:
1661805979061.png
which has the pcb removed and the replacement 2 way choc bloc appears to be labled as 'L' & 'T' with no connector adjacent to the 'N' lable. Now the thing is regardless how obvious it is to me how it needs to be connected someone coming on here for advice could give the information as presented to them which we could find confusing...
We have already assumed/guessed/wondered if the fan has been replaced but no one has told us that. On top of this OP asks if an earth wire is connected to SL. in the rose and the fan wasn't even part of the initial enquiry. No disrespect intended to OP but there is evidence of lack of understanding of the situation. This is not a slight on Soong, the forum is here to assist those in this situation and wanting to gain information. Sometimes we have to think outside the information we have presented to us. Indeed in this very thread it was us guessing there is a fan and our guess proved to be correct.
There is still guessing going on only 2 post back.

Attachments

• 1661807191866.png
    1661807191866.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 33
regardless of who else said what, Soong appears to have given conflicting information. The fact that I've known fans which have had their guts swapped as it's sometimes easier than changing the whole unit and the possible result is the labling may be incorrect.
I'm not sure what labelling you are talking about.

This thread is a bit confusing, since it was initially nothing to do with a fan, until the ('permanently on') fan appeared on page 2. However, what we have been told is that it is not a timer fan. and has only L& N terminals, but that it is (assumed to be, since that is what is seen at the rose) fed with 3-core cable, which appears to have cores connected to L and S/L at the rose.

Hence, regardless of whether a previous timer fan has been replaced at some by a non-timer one, the timer module has at some point been removed or the person who installed the wiring was making provision for a possible future timer fan, it remains the case that in order to come on and off with the light, the connection to the 'L' terminal of the fan has to be connected to 'the other' core from the one which causes it to be permanently on.

Is that not the case?

However, I'm a bit confused. Unless some recent 'fiddling with the wiring' has been undertaken, it would seem that the 'permanently on' fan will have been permanently on ever since the OP's friend moved into his new home - and that would seem a far more obvious/important thing for the OP to have initially mentioned and asked about than the feint glow of a switched-off led. I therefore wonder whether there might be something ('fiddling'?) we haven't been told?

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure what labelling you are talking about.

This thread is a bit confusing, since it was initially nothing to do with a fan, until the ('permanently on') fan appeared on page 2. However, what we have been told is that it is not a timer fan. and has only L& N terminals, but that it is (assumed to be, since that is what is seen at the rose) fed with 3-core cable, which appears to have cores connected to L and S/L at the rose.

Hence, regardless of whether a previous timer fan has been replaced at some by a non-timer one, the timer module has at some point been removed or the person who installed the wiring was making provision for a possible future timer fan, it remains the case that in order to come on and off with the light, the connection to the 'L' terminal of the fan has to be connected to 'the other' core from the one which causes it to be permanently on.

Is that not the case?

However, I'm a bit confused. Unless some recent 'fiddling with the wiring' has been undertaken, it would seem that the 'permanently on' fan will have been permanently on ever since the OP's friend moved into his new home - and that would seem a far more obvious/important thing for the OP to have initially mentioned and asked about than the feint glow of a switched-off led. I therefore wonder whether there might be something ('fiddling'?) we haven't been told?

Kind Regards, John
Yep you're getting stuck into the confused detail from OP too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back