odd overflow problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have the most peculiar problem in a flat. Our flat is a main door flat on the ground floor and there is an intermittent problem with an overflow pipe that is just below a second floor flat window. Every once in a while water from the overflow floods out with a quantity of water like a rising main which falls on the ground just at my front door. Inspections in the second floor flats have revealed nothing and none of the occupants can hear any water escaping from eg a cistern. Any suggestions on how to trace this fault please?

Sponsored Links
1. What is the overflowing pipe made of? If copper, then likely to be the pressure relief from a combi boiler or from and unvented hot water cylinder.

2. Is the overflowing water hot or cold? If hot, again likely to be combi or unvented. If cold likely to be water storage (cold water cistern, WC cistern but could be unvented cylinder

3. If pipe is plastic, likely to be e water storage (cold water cistern, WC cistern but could be unvented cylinder

You need to trace the pipe back within the 2nd floor flat until you find where it joins and to what it joins.

Please note the above is not exhaustive, but a place to start.

1. What is the overflowing pipe made of? If copper, then likely to be the pressure relief from a combi boiler or from and unvented hot water cylinder.
answer - pretty sure it is plastic but I will need to check. It's one of 3 overflow pipes and there are 2 small but this one is bigger - I would say the 22mm size. There is no gas in my city centre so no combi boilers.

2. Is the overflowing water hot or cold? If hot, again likely to be combi or unvented. If cold likely to be water storage (cold water cistern, WC cistern but could be unvented cylinder
answer - water is cold

3. If pipe is plastic, likely to be e water storage (cold water cistern, WC cistern but could be unvented cylinder
answer - could it be from a communal cold water storage tank? (there is an additional floor above the second floor flat)

You need to trace the pipe back within the 2nd floor flat until you find where it joins and to what it joins.
answer - would you suggest a inspection camera here? or lift the floorboards?

Sponsored Links
we thought of blocking up the hole to see where it floods but I think I would be liable for any damage. Also, 2 or more flats' overflows join together under the floorboards so I may end up flooding the wrong flat. Any advice on how to involve the insurance company? (It's a policy for the whole block of flats)

we thought of blocking up the hole to see where it floods but I think I would be liable for any damage.
I'm sure you would.

Any advice on how to involve the insurance company? (It's a policy for the whole block of flats)
Is there a maintenance or management company?

Is there a maintenance or management company?
Good point. There is, but my solicitor told me that disputes between individual flats should be resolved by the respective owners. Not saying that the factors would not help but I've really got to drive this on to get it resolved. It has wasted a lot of my time so it's in my best interest to sort it out.

I wasn't thinking of this as a dispute - it's a plumbing problem, so possibly the responsibility of the management company.

Particularly if you draw their attention to it and point out that it could be a serious hazard in winter.

ban-all-sheds";p="3038566 said:
I wasn't thinking of this as a dispute - it's a plumbing problem, so possibly the responsibility of the management company. I used "dispute" as the wrong word here. I suppose the word is more the "responsibility" of each flat owner. In the event of not finding the source of the leak, the factors are not keen to instruct a plumber and then divide out the bill between all the flats.

you say that the flats dont have gas, what HW systems do you have is it unvented cylinders with electric immersion heaters ?

yes but are they unvented HW cylinders ? make and model would help and I can tell you if it is vented or unvented, there will be a product label on the cylinder or post a pic

yes but are they unvented HW cylinders ? make and model would help and I can tell you if it is vented or unvented, there will be a product label on the cylinder or post a pic
sorry, I'll need to go and have a look as I don't live there and it may be a few days before I can go in. But I'll have a look and let you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back