odd overflow problem

I thought it would show here but seems not!
181000_180980_73851_79050819_thumb.jpg

He had hidden it in his profile!

It is a vented cylinder so no help there.

But what do the other flats have?

Sponsored Links
He had hidden it in his profile!

It is a vented cylinder so no help there.

But what do the other flats have?[/quote]

Full apologies, I'm not sure what I was doing with the photos. I thought I had done the right thing by allowing general access to my photo album but obviously not. Anyway, you have said that the boiler is not vented so that's a dead end, and thanks for that.

The other flats should have the same boiler but I'll need to check.

We've decided on the following course of action.
1 - To push the ball cock down in the wc cistern in each flat to see which overflow the water comes out of.
2 - to instruct dynorod to put an inspection camera up the offending overflow pipe to try and locate its source

Can anyone see any pitfalls with doing this? Or anything else we can try while we are in the flats as this is going to take some arranging to get everyone in?

The camera option will not show where it is and will be expensive!

I do have to say that in your situation I would be inclined to block it and see what happens next!

I suggest you make a log of times and days it flows and see if that corresponds with any particular flat being occupied or perhaps unoccupied.

Can you measure the flow rate in litres per minute?

Tony

Sponsored Links

It's got to be an overflow from a WC or tank on the floor above how many flats on that floor?

There are 5 flats on second floor, 2 are discounted as the overflows exit above the next flats. You would have thought that it would be easy enough to trace but flat owners say they can't hear any water running when the overflow is leaking. Thanks for posting photos.

Yea it's amazing how unhelpful people can be if there is any suggestion that it might be their flat at fault! :rolleyes:

If it is a toilet overflowing they may well not hear anything as the level will be high and so the water will not be splashing into the cistern from any hight.
Only way to be sure is to look when it is running. There might be a extra high water line mark though to give a clue.

Glad to help with the photos, any time you need to post them go to your album and look above the picture, copy the DIYnot BBcode in the box above and paste it into the reply box.

The camera option will not show where it is and will be expensive!

I do have to say that in your situation I would be inclined to block it and see what happens next!

I suggest you make a log of times and days it flows and see if that corresponds with any particular flat being occupied or perhaps unoccupied.

Can you measure the flow rate in litres per minute?

Tony

We thought of blocking it but everyone is very ameniable at the moment and I need to keep everyone sweet so I can get access to the flats. Also, I might be liable for any damage caused.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before but this is a rental flat so I'm not about to do the log but appreciate your comment as it is a good suggestion. Re the litres per minute, it's intermittent so by the time I get there it's stopped.

Yes but if you can see it and set up a similar looking flow from a tap then measure it as it gives me an idea of what could cause it.

Also how long it flows for.

The log of WHEN it flows will perhaps be the most useful. I don't see why being a tenant makes any difference unless it is just that you are not wanting to go to the trouble!

Just because YOU don't have an unvented cylinder does not mean that those above you don't! I am not quite sure the relevance of that picture. We would need pictures of each of the cylinders! Their location relative to the outlet would also be a very big clue too!

Tony

The log of WHEN it flows will perhaps be the most useful. I don't see why being a tenant makes any difference unless it is just that you are not wanting to go to the trouble! Sorry, I should have explained that I'm the landlord and this is a holiday let so a bit difficult with the log but yes, that would be best solution. Nevertheless, our guest at the moment says that the overflow goes when fewer people are in the block of flats. I took my plumber to the property last night and despite what the factors say he thinks there is a cold water tank in the roof space. The considered opinion is that when people are out of the block of flats (less use of water) the cold water tank fills up and overflows. This would explain the constant stream of water over the New Year period when people were away. My plumber managed to gain access to all the flats last night and he confirmed that the overflow leak was not coming from the flats as eg the overflow from the toilet was fed into the pan and then through the waste pipe. So, back to the factors as I'm not allowed to touch anything that is communal.

Just because YOU don't have an unvented cylinder does not mean that those above you don't! I am not quite sure the relevance of that picture. We would need pictures of each of the cylinders! Their location relative to the outlet would also be a very big clue too! All boilers are the same as mine.

Tony[/quote]

Yes but if you can see it and set up a similar looking flow from a tap then measure it as it gives me an idea of what could cause it.

Also how long it flows for.

The log of WHEN it flows will perhaps be the most useful. I don't see why being a tenant makes any difference unless it is just that you are not wanting to go to the trouble!

Just because YOU don't have an unvented cylinder does not mean that those above you don't! I am not quite sure the relevance of that picture. We would need pictures of each of the cylinders! Their location relative to the outlet would also be a very big clue too!

Tony

ignore last message, I've mixed up the text somehow
Sorry, I should have explained that I'm the landlord and this is a holiday let so a bit difficult with the log but yes, that would be best solution. Nevertheless, our guest at the moment says that the overflow goes when fewer people are in the block of flats. I took my plumber to the property last night and despite what the factors say he thinks there is a cold water tank in the roof space. The considered opinion is that when people are out of the block of flats (less use of water) the cold water tank fills up and overflows. This would explain the constant stream of water over the New Year period when people were away. My plumber managed to gain access to all the flats last night and he confirmed that the overflow leak was not coming from the flats as eg the overflow from the toilet was fed into the pan and then through the waste pipe. So, back to the factors as I'm not allowed to touch anything that is communal.

Just because YOU don't have an unvented cylinder does not mean that those above you don't! I am not quite sure the relevance of that picture. We would need pictures of each of the cylinders! Their location relative to the outlet would also be a very big clue too! All boilers are the same as mine.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/odd-overflow-problem.394285/page-2#3046694#ixzz2v6xzmTiG

Does the flats has it own cold water tanks?

What behind that wall in airing cupboard?

Maybe plumber isn't doing his job? I would find it easily.

Dan.

Does the flats has it own cold water tanks?

What behind that wall in airing cupboard?

Maybe plumber isn't doing his job? I would find it easily.

Dan.

No cold water tanks in each flat. We originally thought that all sources of water use were from a rising main but I'm told that it is unlikely for the feed to the copper hot water cylinders.

It is waste/soil pipes from the other flats behind the wall.

Hmm, it should have cold water tank in there somewhere, as that cylinder is vented, what about cold feed to bathroom? Where that come from?

Maybe need look harder, have a look up in loft, see if there is one large tank or a tank for each flat.

Where I work, we have flats in large building and there is a 50 gallon cold water tank (24 of them ) each, serving top, middle and ground floor flats, bit of a nightmare finding which one is running overflow.
The hot water is a gas fired heater x 6 and is cold feed from huge 1000 gallon section cold water tank.

Dan.

I would be normal to have a cold tank on the loft/roof.

Your plumber could have looked at that as long as access is available.

But an overflow from a roof tank would never come out of the wall at first floor level.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back