Water permanently flowing through pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok.. here's what we're trying to figure out: I live in the basement of a Victorian conversion. There are 4 flats and the main supply pipe enters the building through my flat.

There is water permanently flowing through this pipe. 3pm, 3am, always. This is very annoying.

There also appears to be a dripping from the 3rd floor flat's overflow pipe (above my front door) which is not constant. Sometimes there's a puddle at my front door, sometimes it's dry.

Here's what my plumber has ascertained:

The overflow pipe in the 3rd floor flat's cistern is dry inside even when the pipe is actually spitting out water. But the overflow pipe does not APPEAR to be attached to anything other than the toilet...

There appears to be no water tank in the roof of the 4th floor flat.

The 3rd floor flat is the only one which has an overflow pipe.

All the taps, washing machines and toilets are functioning correctly in the other 3 flats.

Someone, please, anyone.. can you suggest what might be causing this annoying water flow!

Yours, in desperation
Simon

Sponsored Links
Remember Victorian conversions typically have some of the worst plumbing ever done. It is not unusual to find the cold tank for one flat in someone else's roof space :!:

You just have to liase with the other residents - find out what water systems they have combi/tanks etc and then you will find it.

Thanks for responding..

I've liaised with the residents in our building and found nothing.. it's semi-detached (4 flats on the right hand side, 4 on the left with an entrance on each side)

Are you saying that there could be a joint water tank for all 8 flats which is in the roof of the other side even though the supply pipe is on my side?

I'm tempted to freeze the pipe, put a tap on it and wait until someone complains...

Very kind of you to give me your advice!

Push it onto the other residents, if they ignore you contact the freeholder and if still no luck tell them you will contact environmental health at the local council. They may listen then.

After all why should you incur the cost of a plumber and be left with damage from the water caused by someone else's plumbing.

You may find several properties are rented and the landlords don't give a to**.

Sponsored Links
The noise you hear may be due to a leak. It could be anywhere, including in the ground where the pipe is buried. If you have some stop-cocks you could turn each off briefly and see which stops the noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back