Odd wiring of Lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry to be forever asking for help, but I'm just back from my Grandma's having had to replace a pullcord switch for her in her pantry.

Has anyone ever seen lights wired with the live's looping through the switches (wired in 1 x Red core + bare copper sleeved Green/Yellow in a grey sheath) and the neutrals looped through the ceiling rose (wired in black with a grey sheath.) The house was rewired approximately 30 years ago by the Electricity Board.

I have sucessfully replace the pullcord switch, just I have never seen this method of wiring before. My main reason for asking is in trying to persuade her to get an EICR done, and just wondered if this might be flagged up.

Thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links
It's fine. It used to very common around 30 years ago, and seems to have fallen out of favour a bit these days, but it's still used, and perfectly acceptable.

Thanks.

At least thats one of my worries about the inspection out of the way. To be honest the installation doesn't look too bad overall, just on an old Wylex rewireable fusebox and no sign of any supplementary bonding in the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
no sign of any supplementary bonding in the bathroom.
It could have been installed outside of the room, in cupboard and loft, although it should be accessible for inspection.

Perhaps it was tested and found to be not required.
This is unlikely as it usually was installed as a matter of course to negate the need for testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back