Off centre soil pipe

No Ego Newboy....seems you two must of missed the question that I asked??

Sponsored Links
Nothing to prove to be honest, I know I've done this for a profession for a while now but if it helps - Water Regs, SVQ level 3, level 2/3 tech - More recently UVHW (G3), Part L - EE (That reminds me I need to update this year) etc - day release @ S Lanarkshire College - Oh... Doing my gas just now, working with a RGI gathering my portfolio, then my ACS. Father was a master plumber, worked for GCC for 30 years and worked with him for about 5 years and day release for about 4 years if I remember and have been sole trader for erm about 14 years now.

Hey Madrab , what would your fathers reaction be to using a flexi pan con..would he advise using one???...bare in mind you stated he was a master plumber....I know how my ole man would of reacted...would of been a clip around the earhole..:)

Don't forget to join the CC when your gas qualified.....plenty guys will help you along the way..

Sponsored Links
You're right GW, he probably would be horrified :) Can just hear his tch tch tch, but he hated a lot of the new inventions we now take for granted (flexis included :whistle:), I learned to make hemp washers and thread locks on my first day out with him, oh the joys. PTFE was a swear word in his toolbox :D but he was really set in his ways.
I still have a stainless steel blast pump that he used to clear drains, huge big cylinder up to your knee, that you used to pump up like a bike up to 80psi if needed and was trigger activated! Broke a toilet with the pressure one day, as the boy I really enjoyed that clear up day I'll tell you, put me off marigolds for life!
He did used to agree that there would always be new ways, when I came back from college with a fernco connector one day he couldn't get his head round it and how it would last, he wasn't wrong but he couldn't ever change though. Happy Days!

Nothing wrong with flexi's - how many do you think they sell :p
As long as it's not ground floor with a rat problem - even then, rigid pan conns won't fit the bill :eek:
Seen many flexi pan connectors leak. Always fun explaining that stain on the ceiling isn't just water it's got **** in it too.
Not saying I havnt used them, but far from ideal

Apologies for the delay have been out all day with the kids.

It sounds like I stirred a hornet's nest.

Thank you for the advice. I am indeed a DIYer who unfortunately cannot afford to pay a professional to refit a bathroom, hence why I came to a DIY forum for advice.

Pullar - do you mean remove the current connector and replace with a straight connector ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sp101-straight-connector/17227) into which a 45 bend is inserted ( http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-110mm-Black-Soil-Pipe-135-Deg-Bend/p/431965 ) , another out of the back of WC and connect the two together with 110mm pipe ?

thanks

And the £45/hour covering being arrogant and condescending - or is that extra?

Presumably you're still wiping lead joints or have you started using that new-fangled copper pipe now (must go pump up my blowtorch and put the tallow back in the van ready for the morning)

Oh for an extra £20/hour I'll insult you all week, my meter is running!!
So, are you one of these Mickey Mouse course Cowboys then?? Six weeks & you know the fooking lot??!

When I did my apprenticeship we did still wipe joints, all be it copper onto lead pipe.

I served my time with the best. You'd not even by good enough to make their tea sonny boy.

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay have been out all day with the kids.

It sounds like I stirred a hornet's nest.

Thank you for the advice. I am indeed a DIYer who unfortunately cannot afford to pay a professional to refit a bathroom, hence why I came to a DIY forum for advice.

Pullar - do you mean remove the current connector and replace with a straight connector ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sp101-straight-connector/17227) into which a 45 bend is inserted ( http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-110mm-Black-Soil-Pipe-135-Deg-Bend/p/431965 ) , another out of the back of WC and connect the two together with 110mm pipe ?

thanks

Yeah, carefully remove the existing WC connector, fit the connector I linked to, then a 90 bend, then another 90 or 45, which ever one gets it lined up correctly. Then a straight WC connector.......job done!!

Nothing to prove to be honest, I know I've done this for a profession for a while now but if it helps - Water Regs, SVQ level 3, level 2/3 tech - More recently UVHW (G3), Part L - EE (That reminds me I need to update this year) etc - day release @ S Lanarkshire College - Oh... Doing my gas just now, working with a RGI gathering my portfolio, then my ACS. Father was a master plumber, worked for GCC for 30 years and worked with him for about 5 years and day release for about 4 years if I remember and have been sole trader for erm about 14 years now.

Your Dad sounds like a wonderful guy Rab. To be a Master Plumber in Scotland you need to be an employer of Tradesmen.

Sorry guys I should have stated my qualifications before questioning yours....
3 years city and guilds plumbing & heating.
2 years advanced drainage and sanitation.
1 year teachers guild.
1 year advanced heating.
Willesden college of technology circ 79/86.

.......and you're a Blockbuster card holder too, sure that's rite GW??!!

Well it's good to see you've got the BSc (Hons) in arrogance as well.

Strange - I thought that this was a forum to assist people rather than parade egos, clearly I was wrong!

Along with a number of qualifications I've already got (none of which was obtained in six weeks), I've considered a proctology course - then when one you gets your head stuck up your backside I can pop out and help!

@mcdermottc

If you don't use a flexible pan connector then don't use the connector shown in your link in post #38 - that's a pan connector.
Use the one Puller linked to in post #14 followed by a 45°

I'm not convinced that you've got enough of an offset / depth combination to get two connectors in though

Well it's good to see you've got the BSc (Hons) in arrogance as well.

Strange - I thought that this was a forum to assist people rather than parade egos, clearly I was wrong!

Along with a number of qualifications I've already got (none of which was obtained in six weeks), I've considered a proctology course - then when one you gets your head stuck up your backside I can pop out and help!

Well, unless you've done an apprenticeship in the Plumbing & Heating trade the qualifications are worthless pieces of paper. I'm not arrogant, I just dislike course Cowboys telling me how the job should be done.
It shows disrespect to the artisans that are trying to help the DaftyDIYers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back