Off the floor toilets but not wall hung

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions please for a toilet which is not wall hung using a Geberit frame but is still off the floor?

this is for a loft bathroom which has only a 200mm or so thin wall.

Sponsored Links
How can it be off the floor if it's not hung on the wall? Magnetic levitation?

Apparently you can get toilets which are not wall hung but have a frame of other sorts. Clearly you dont know about them.

Sponsored Links
You do get wall hung vanity units but again it's just a frame inside the unit, just like the gerbit, though some may be a little smaller in height so the unit comes in around 850mm. The vanity unit is just fitted around the frame.

A wall hung vanity toilet
136232.jpg
and the frame inside it -
159009.jpg

They all fit in the same general way, it's the only way they can take the weight.

Looks like a fair bit of leverage when you're sat on it.

Any suggestions please for a toilet which is not wall hung using a Geberit frame but is still off the floor?

this is for a loft bathroom which has only a 200mm or so thin wall.

I am pretty sure that the frame for my loo was less than 200mm deep. Off hand I cannot remember the brand.

Here is one that is only 115mm deep.

https://www.drench.co.uk/p/vellamo-wall-hung-frame-and-cistern-black-plate-bp

The less deep the frame, the taller it tends to be. An upside is that the loo seat, when open, doesn't obscure the push button.

Whilst @muggles may have come across as overly sarcastic, he was correct that the same kind of frame is necessary in the image that you hyper linked to.

That said, my frame was screwed to a brick wall and I then built a plywood wall to hide the frame. With regards to the set up that you linked to, personally, I have only ever seen those fixed to brick walls. I am not sure that it would work unless you had a sufficient timber frame in the wall at the correct height/width.

Thanks.

Yes, that is my issue i.e. I dont have a brick wall coming up to the top of the loft floor hence the lack of cavity wall to put this frame into. But someone said to me that you can get off the floor toilets which dont have to be wall mounted but as you say, have to build a plywood frame or something around it.

It doesn't have to be frame mounted, you could "bolt" it to the wall with two long steel studs - the frame just combines this with a mount for the cistern and locates the flush pipe and soil pipe in the correct place.and makes the install highly convenient.

Obviously the (stud) wall would need to be strong enough to support the toilet directly just as it would to support a frame with the toilet hung from it.

You would need to build a doubled up wooden stud frame that was tied into the floor joists and roof trusses to give a structure strong enough to take the weight of toilet and person the frame could then be fixed to that. The downwards shearing forces, when someone sits on the toilet will be significant and it will always want to pull itself away and down from the wall, hence the need for a frame and thick high tensile bolts to resist the shearing forces.
I'd be looking to over engineer anything like this that was only supported by wood and that wasn't tied into brick, if it was expected to last.

Geberit have a frame that is design to fit into a stud wall, between 2 studs. Just sister the 2studs so that there are 2 either side of the frame and a noggin between them above the frame.
The frame is fixed to the studs laterally.
I think it will fit into 3x2's but it may be 4x2's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back